1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 year old goose cannot stand

Discussion in 'Geese' started by denco5, Nov 19, 2015.

1. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    That poop looks pretty normal.

-Kathy

2. denco5

denco5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    Yes she has food and water in with her. She eats pretty good, I do not see her taking in much water though. I will see if I can find the safeguard wormer here in town.

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    When did she lay her las egg?

-Kathy

4. denco5

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    Last year she laid eggs October thru January along with my one other goose I had at the time. The other one started laying last month but Lucy has not laid one yet this year. The limp started long before the other one laid her egg so I do not believe it is connected. I hold her quite often and do not feel anything out of the ordinary.

I found the SafeGuard wormer locally so I am on my way to pick it up and give it a try.

Is it possible that only one animal would get worms bad enough to do this and not the others?

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

Last year someone with peafowl went thru something similar where just one hen was sick. That hen had a negative fecal, but two later had a positive fecal that showed both coccidia and capillary worms.

-Kathy

6. denco5

Jun 23, 2010
    Ocoee Florida
    Ok I will start the wormer today. She was 7 pounds at the vet so I am figuring .23 ml per pound would be 1.61ml daily for five days. I hope it works, thanks for all the help

7. Carrosaur

Carrosaur Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    One of my young ganders was like this, we got an anti inflamitory treatment at the vet, could you ask your vet to see if that is an option?

8. LadyHayleyHalo1

LadyHayleyHalo1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    Arizona mountains
    Gape worms can be seen in their stool. They look like a red piece of string in the shape of a (y). The male and female worms connect making the (y). I have seen that in my geeses stool. I do Ivermection 1% solution, for a 10 lb bird the dose would be 0.09 mg, given oraly on right side of throat. Repeat dose in 2 weeks.Gape worm will suffocate the bird. That was my first dealing with gape worms 15 yrs ago. Two of my geese died from it. Their bill and feet will start to turn blue from lack of oxygen, in a matter of minutes they die. One of my geese died in my arms on my birthday, 14 yrs ago. A horriable death. I was new to geese then, I have learned alot about gape worm since then. I pray all goes well.

9. LadyHayleyHalo1

LadyHayleyHalo1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    Arizona mountains
    Gape worms can be seen in their stool. They look like a red piece of string in the shape of a (y). The male and female worms connect making the (y). I have seen that in my geeses stool. I do Ivermection 1% solution, for a 10 lb bird the dose would be 0.09 mg, given oraly on right side of throat. Repeat dose in 2 weeks.Gape worm will suffocate the bird. That was my first dealing with gape worms 15 yrs ago. Two of my geese died from it. Their bill and feet will start to turn blue from lack of oxygen, in a matter of minutes they die. One of my geese died in my arms on my birthday, 14 yrs ago. A horriable death. I was new to geese then, I have learned alot abbout gape worm since then.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but I think you mean 0.9 mg for a 10 pound bird. Your dose is the standard 0.2 mg/kg dose, but that amount can be doubled to 0.4 mg/kg according to the book I have that's called "Veterinary Parasitology Reference Manual".

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by