2 Year Old Hen - Warm, Droopy Comb, Diarrhea

TheChickenCameFirst

Songster
9 Years
Aug 11, 2010
The Countryside of Southern NH
Hey there everyone. I went out to feed my chickens this morning and found one of my older hens in a bad way. She was still up in the roost (All the others had come down) and she had been having diarrhea - looks like all through the night. She looked fine yesterday. She also feels very warm. Possibly Coccidiosis?? They are given clean water in their drinker every morning, but by the afternoon (When I clean it out) it has gotten quite dirty. Possibly something she drank?? None of the other chickens are showing symptoms.

Please let me know how I should treat her - should I quarentine her? Should I go out and get some corid powder? (The only one my feed stores sell is meant for calves.... does that work?)

Hi! I dont really kbow what might be wrong with your girl, but I would definitely isolate her. Will she eat or drink? I would try to make sure she is eating and drinking and keep a close eye in her. Since she is having diarthea, mayb you can add some elecrolytes and probiotics to her water? Again, not really sure, but thought I would post with some of the things I would start with :) There are lots of people on here who know a lot about Corid for coccidia if that is what you are suspicious of. I know lethargy and droopy wings can be a sign of it. Wouldnt surprise me if diarrhea goes along with it since I heard coccidia can wreak havok on the gut! Good luck, i am sure others will help out soon too as there are so many wonderful people on here!! :)

Also, meant to add that if you do suspect coccidia and you try corid, read carefully on what they can and cant have with it. I heard there are some things that can interfere with how well the corid works. Good luck and i wish you and you hen the best.

Thank you! I will separate her, but I'm very concerned because she is NOT eating or drinking. I have been giving her water in a dropper all morning but she just sneezes and snuffs it all out :( She won't eat, not even lettuce. It's her favorite treat! She just sits in a corner panting. I'm very concerned for her... I'm not sure she is going to make it through the night tonight. I will try electrolytes, and my husband is getting some corid on his way home from work tonight. If one has it... the others may too and I want to make sure they are all treated

I would take her to the vet. When an animal isn't eating or drinking, there's usually a big problem. I'm pretty new to chickens, but this is also what I've read about birds. Good luck!

Thank you! I will separate her, but I'm very concerned because she is NOT eating or drinking. I have been giving her water in a dropper all morning but she just sneezes and snuffs it all out :( She won't eat, not even lettuce. It's her favorite treat! She just sits in a corner panting. I'm very concerned for her... I'm not sure she is going to make it through the night tonight. I will try electrolytes, and my husband is getting some corid on his way home from work tonight. If one has it... the others may too and I want to make sure they are all treated
How hot is it? Bring her inside,cool her down,and monitor her condition. She may have heat stroke/stress,if heavy panting,wings spread,lethargic,etc. persists,submerge her in a pail of COOL water DO NOT USE COLD(cold water will shock her)up to her neck,this will immediately drop her body temp. This is the dosage info for Corid, Corid(amprolium)20% powder is 1/2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water. Treat all chickens for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with medication)give vitamins after treatment is complete.

If you think she is running a fever she could also have a bacterial infection of some sort. How old is this hen? What color is her comb? I'm not sure I'd be thinking cocci in a mature bird in the heat of summer unless it's also been wet there. But you can never say never, it certainly won't hurt to treat for it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom