2-Year Old, Tiny Duck Never Molted Properly

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 3bird, Jul 20, 2019.

1. 3bird

3bird Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Rockland, Maine
    Hi All.

This is Martha.

martha.jpg

She is a two-year old silver Appleyard who has really never fully molted (hard molt) and never developed her blue wing bars. She is our tiniest girl and often our broodiest girl. She's got all kinds of quirks such as hopping (we call her our jumping bean) and a very distinctive quack. She appears generally pretty happy (for a broody girl) and forages with her sisters and eats lots of slugs and snails et al. She eats fine and isn't afraid to eat, but she's just so tiny. We'd like to put a little meat on her bones. We thought about offering her some small minnows. What ideas do you have?

martha2.jpg

Lucyspals and quackiemama like this.
  2. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Shes cute!

What do you feed them?

quackiemama likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Maybe try adding some dry cat food or dog food to their feed. Its great for molting birds and can add a bit of substance to her. I use it as a treat along with meal worms. You can sprinkle some on their feed too. Just get small size kibble so it's easy to swallow. Something in fish. I give dog food since I have dogs they get salmon and pea.

quackiemama and 3bird like this.
  4. 3bird

3bird Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Rockland, Maine
    She is such a cutie! She has free choice 16% layer feed and they forage at least an hour twice daily (and often all day in the summer). They also all get soup (peas and greens with a meal worm crumble) 2x/day.

Lucyspals and Miss Lydia like this.
  5. 3bird

3bird Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Rockland, Maine
    That's a great idea. We do give them dry cat food sometimes in the winter. Maybe we'll see if we can separate her and give her some. Thanks!

quackiemama and Miss Lydia like this.
  6. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted to Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    Texag87 and chickens really like this.
  7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I think it’s got a spinal deformity. Possibly dwarfism..

HuffleClaw likes this.
  8. Texag87

Texag87 Crowing

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    We have a K/c that has a spinal deficiency like that. She is the loudest and the one who wants to go broody. She has to be run out of the coop every morning because not only is she guarding her eggs but the others as well.

Miss Lydia and katiebrock like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: