2 yo rhode island red - has symptoms of being egg bound (?)but no egg?

Many calcium citrate +D tablets are 650 mg, just give one daily. The petites are usually 400 mg, I usually give two of those. The calcium will help with contractions and help her pass an egg, if that's what's going on. You would have to give large amounts for a long period of time to cause a problem, and this is really an emergency if she is egg bound, so no worries on exact amounts. The calcium citrate +D is faster absorbed, but if you don't have it and you have Tums, you can give that also, it's just not as effective. But in an emergency you use what you have.
The crop is important to know, if it's not emptying it could indicate a possible reproductive problem beyond egg binding.

Many calcium citrate +D tablets are 650 mg, just give one daily. The petites are usually 400 mg, I usually give two of those. The calcium will help with contractions and help her pass an egg, if that's what's going on. You would have to give large amounts for a long period of time to cause a problem, and this is really an emergency if she is egg bound, so no worries on exact amounts. The calcium citrate +D is faster absorbed, but if you don't have it and you have Tums, you can give that also, it's just not as effective. But in an emergency you use what you have.
The crop is important to know, if it's not emptying it could indicate a possible reproductive problem beyond egg binding.
:goodpost: @coach723 is far more knowledgeable than I am, by all means take this advice to heart.

Is there a certain size/dosage amount that i want to give her in a tablet?
@BigBlueHen53

For future reference, you can always trust advice given by someone whose name has a little tag by it that says "Educator." They're the best of the best around here. ❤️

okay so I checked her crop this morning - it was hard to find and was very small. so I’m assuming no digestive issues.
ordered calcium citrate and the plan is to put her back with the rest of the flock today.

Has her behavior changed?
As said before, calcium citrate is available at any pharmacy or big box store like walmart.
If she is egg bound, then time is of the essence, it can be fatal if not resolved in fairly short time.
Is she pooping? You said there was a mass below the vent, is it hard, soft and squishy, water balloon like, etc? Does it feel bloated compared to other healthy birds?
If she is still standing like that, I would not return her yet, I would keep her crated. If she is acting ill then she could be attacked by other birds. If she's having trouble laying, then a prolapse is a possibility and if others were to peck that it could be disastrous. Crating her will make it easier to monitor her and to administer medications and treatments as well as keeping her safe until she improves or until you have a better idea what is going on.

Have you ever wormed her, or had a fecal done to check for internal parasites?
Do you know when she last laid?
How old is she?

No, have not checked for worms or have done anything fecal.
I do not know when she lasted laid, was gone for 2 weeks.
She’s almost two years old. (In April)

Back
Top Bottom