2 yo rhode island red - has symptoms of being egg bound (?)but no egg?

If getting fecal test isn't doable (many vets won't do it without seeing the bird. If you have a vet for other animals it cost nothing to ask) then I would consider worming her to see if it helps. I would use Safeguard liquid goat wormer or Valbazen (labeled for cattle). The Safeguard is usually available locally, the Valbazen usually has to be ordered on line. Generally you won't see worms in the droppings, they live their entire lives in the bird and are digested when they die off. Without a fecal there is no way to know for sure.

@coach723
thank you! i potentially could take her to my vet on Monday.

i was gone all day and now that i look again her poops don’t seem that much like diarrhea now that i have looked at photos online and have check her poops again in good light.
They are green but that might be due to the number of greens i have been feeding here while she’s been living in the house.

gave her this that has calcium citrate - click -

here’s a photo of her IMG_1301.jpeg

aaand her poop …

IMG_1303.jpeg

edit : do you think it could be water belly? i can take a picture of her bum

Does her abdomen feel bloated, below the vent between the legs? Her stance suggests reproductive problem. It's not uncommon, particularly in birds over the age of two, and in breeds that were bred to lay lots of eggs, which she is. It could be an infection like EYP or salpingitis, or a cancer. If the abdomen is bloated, either very firm, or water balloon like, then the the prognosis is usually poor. You may be able to keep her comfortable for a while, but it may not be fixable. Green droppings can be from not eating (bile), or can be an indication of infection or cancer. How is her body condition, is her keel bone well muscled, or is the keel bone very prominent? If her abdomen is not bloated, then you could also try a round of antibiotics, like amoxicillin, to see if it helps. If there is bloat you can still try antibiotics, but they may not really help. Often for reproductive problems like salpingitis, enrofloxacin is used (not approved for poultry, but some vets will give for pet birds). If it's a cancer, then there really isn't a treatment.
Since she is passing droppings, it's less likely that this is egg binding. I've seen birds that are egg bound high enough for droppings to still pass, but most often the egg blocks the passage of droppings.

it is floated but it feels squishy, not hard.
i’ll take a photo in the morning of where I’m thinking.
her keel is prominent

Last edited:
I'm very sorry. :hugs If you decide that is the best thing, and it often is, I would recommend necropsy, so you know the cause. The knowledge can help in the future, and can bring peace of mind in many cases.

Back
Top Bottom