2 yr old RIR hard large mass in abdomen, also lump behind vent

coopycoop

Hatching
Aug 27, 2019
Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

I've scoured the forums to get information about what my RIR might have but haven't been successful. The large baseball sized mass is very firm between her legs and the smaller mass behind her vent feels hard like an egg. I'm contemplating getting a syringe to drain in case the large mass is filled with fluid, but it is very hard and not like a water balloon. I've seen that people put a chicken like this on antibiotics but I have no idea what to get, I only have tractor supply near by. Could she be egg bound if she is pooping often, even if they are runny?

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Rhode island red
Exactly 2 years old, got as a chick April 2018.
Was a good daily layer even through winter in Michigan (no artificial light) from October 2018 until October 2019 when she had a moult like all 4 other chickens but hasn't laid since. All other chickens stopped laying in October 2019 also during their moult but started laying again in February 2020. This RIR has not started laying again.
Weight: unknown but she is larger than normal right now due to the swelling and lumps

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

She is drinking and eating normally but is hunched over and cannot jump up anymore due to the large stiff hard swelling in her abdomen. 2 weeks ago I noticed poopy butt and washed her but it returned. I didn't notice any swelling at the time, but I didn't actually feel her abdomen at the time. I only noticed the poopy butt. I checked her for mites and didn't see any. Her vent seemed normal to me but I had never run into this before so I didn't know what to look out for. It got progressively worse and she couldn't jump up anymore. Yesterday she could barely jump down from the coop so I took her indoors. Found a large egg sized lump behind her vent and a grapefruit sized firm hard lump between her legs on the back side between her vent and legs. It is not squishy. I tried massaging the hard lump which feels like an egg by her vent but could not move it. I used oil to check inside her vent with gloves but could not feel like anything was ready to come out. She is pooping runny poops. She is alert and funny, staring at me in her typical crazy way.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
2 weeks

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

None, 4 others are fine

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

Not that I know of

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Not sure.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Kitchen scraps, layer feed and water. She is still interested in food and eating and poops runny poops

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Normal but runny

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Warm bath, isolation in crate indoors on pine shavings, massage, oil on and in vent. I fed her crushed egg shell with cooked egg and she gobbled it up.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Don't have access to avian vets, will self treat, tractor supply close by

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

Pictures will follow in the morning of her vent area, large mass in abdomen, and poops.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Crate indoors with pine shavings

Sorry about your hen. Some possible problems could be salpingitis with an enlarged oviduct full of lash egg material, egg yolk peritonitis with lash eggs, a tumor, or ascites (water belly.) Without a vet and xrays, it can be hard to know exactly what is affecting her inside. Can you get any pictures of the swelling of her vent and belly? These sorts of reproductive disorders are common in hens over 2 years. Here is some info about salpingitis:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-is-this-salpingitis-warning-graphic-photos.1136522/

https://thepoultrysite.com/disease-guide/salpingitis

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

Thank you!

I hope this works for seeing the pics. I couldn't get it to upload here. I was trying to take pics of the under belly but it was difficult to see even when she was upside down. Should I clip some of the feathers to show that area? It is a large hard bulge and she has labored breathing this morning.

I don’t think that clipping feathers would help. Some people try to drain ascites fluid from the belly with an 18 gauge needle and large syringe from TSC or a feed store. It is an invasive procedure and does have risks of dying or infection. It would be hard to know if she has fluid inside or not. Ascites can cause labored breathing. A vet would be best, but it is not always affordable or available. Here are a couple of videos of the same person draining her hen with ascites:

Unfortunately I tried draining and there was no fluid from the hard mass. I could not pull any fluid out using the syringe. Her condition has deteriorated fast and she didn't eat or drink anything today, she can't lift her head up. I guess we will prepare to make her passing comfortable and peaceful.

Sorry that she is worse. You may have to try and find out what was going on with a necropsy if she dies. The state poultry lab can perform one, if you keep the body cold and wrapped in a cooler on ice. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

If you cannot do that, sometimes we can do a home necropsy, and take pictures of the abdominal organs to post here on a thread, and some may make comments and give opinions.

Thank you.

Red passed this afternoon. She was sleeping all day with her eyes closed and head slumped over, but right before she died, she opened her eyes, looked at me and tried to fly. Then she became still and was dead. Her comb went from red to purple. We decided to give her a peaceful burial in her yard.

Back
Top Bottom