2 yr old rooster has gone psycho

Chickens are descended from the dinosaurs. They are oriented toward survival, feeding, breeding... sorry, mama, but they are not that into you. If you wish to have a pet you can hold and cuddle, get a puppy or kitten.
I learned this the hard way when I almost lost an eye... I was holding my little rooster, cooing away, thinking he was loving me as he gazed up at me... then WHAM -- he pecked me directly in the eye. Luckily, he nailed the white of my eye, not the middle, but a fraction of an inch more could have blinded me. Never put your face within pecking range of ANY chicken, rooster or hen.
I let my eye-pecker grow to adulthood and he increasingly attacked me without provocation or warning, directly and with sneaky attacks from behind. He was mean and violent, it was simply his nature, in his breeding, not something he could help or that could be changed. Chickens are not pets!
Your psycho rooster is simply being a rooster. Likely his hormones are kicking in big-time, and thus the sudden increase in aggressive behaviour. As he is endangering you and likely others, he needs to be culled.

Chickens are descended from the dinosaurs. They are oriented toward survival, feeding, breeding... sorry, mama, but they are not that into you. If you wish to have a pet you can hold and cuddle, get a puppy or kitten.
I learned this the hard way when I almost lost an eye... I was holding my little rooster, cooing away, thinking he was loving me as he gazed up at me... then WHAM -- he pecked me directly in the eye. Luckily, he nailed the white of my eye, not the middle, but a fraction of an inch more could have blinded me. Never put your face within pecking range of ANY chicken, rooster or hen.
I let my eye-pecker grow to adulthood and he increasingly attacked me without provocation or warning, directly and with sneaky attacks from behind. He was mean and violent, it was simply his nature, in his breeding, not something he could help or that could be changed. Chickens are not pets!
Your psycho rooster is simply being a rooster. Likely his hormones are kicking in big-time, and thus the sudden increase in aggressive behaviour. As he is endangering you and likely others, he needs to be culled.

Yes, I'm well aware that this is the general consensus among experienced chicken people. ..and again, I am not discounting the advice. I'm well aware that he could come at me again. I also agree that roosters should not be thought of as cuddly pets. Nevertheless, THIS particular roo is getting another chance at life, ..that's all there is to it. If he had been mean to me or the hens, or pecked, or attacked in the past two years, I would have got rid of him long ago. This just wasn't the case though. He has shown aggression, yes, but he is not mean. So.. again, for the time being anyway, ..the roo shall live to see another day.

Speaking of spurs...
I realise that some people completely de-spur their roosters and what not and others file them down so that they are blunt. but had anyone else tried trimming them back ( like a dogs toe nail) and then filing them off? like with a pedi paws?

I found it works quite well. Recently I bought a new rooster ( a Faverolles mix, but sold to me as a pure bred... but I'm not getting into that) He is the most docile rooster ive had so far but his feet and spurs were in an appalling state. the scales on his feet were actually rotting, and the underneaths as well. I felt so sorry for him, and I've removed 90% of the bad scales so far and cleaned and flushed the others. however back to the spurs, His spurs were about 2 1/2 inches long to 3 inches long and were all gnarled and they were starting to curl backwards towards his legs and they were sharp. so sharp I cut my finger testing the sharpness. I realised something had to be done and so the next day before I gave him any girls ( I didn't want them to get injured by said spurs ) so I used the hoof trimmers that we have to cut them back a bit and then the pedi paws which I borrowed from my mother. the plastic head comes off so that the head is exposed, its also very quiet and didn't spook the rooster. I was able to file the spurs back with this so that there was no sharp edges and the damaged nail was also filed down. now his spurs are smooth with no hang nail bits and they wont be bothering him or his girls.

has anyone else done something like this?

Speaking of spurs...

I realise that some people completely de-spur their roosters and what not and others file them down so that they are blunt. but had anyone else tried trimming them back ( like a dogs toe nail) and then filing them off? like with a pedi paws?

[COLOR=000000]I found it works quite well. Recently I bought a new rooster ( a Faverolles mix, but sold to me as a pure bred... but I'm not getting into that) He is the most docile rooster ive had so far but his feet and spurs were in an appalling state. the scales on his feet were actually rotting, and the underneaths as well. I felt so sorry for him, and I've removed 90% of the bad scales so far and cleaned and flushed the others. however back to the spurs, His spurs were about 2 1/2 inches long to 3 inches long and were all gnarled and they were starting to curl backwards towards his legs and they were sharp. so sharp I cut my finger testing the sharpness. I realised something had to be done and so the next day before I gave him any girls ( I didn't want them to get injured by said spurs ) so I used the hoof trimmers that we have to cut them back a bit and then the pedi paws which I borrowed from my mother. the plastic head comes off so that the head is exposed, its also very quiet and didn't spook the rooster. I was able to file the spurs back with this  so that there was no sharp edges and the damaged nail was also filed down. now his spurs are smooth with no hang nail bits and they wont be bothering him or his girls.[/COLOR]

has anyone else done something like this?

No, but I'm impressed, think its a great idea, and I'll get on it in the morning. Do you think dog nail clippers would do as well?

Yes, I'm well aware that this is the general consensus among experienced chicken people. ..and again, I am not discounting the advice. I'm well aware that he could come at me again. I also agree that roosters should not be thought of as cuddly pets. Nevertheless, THIS particular roo is getting another chance at life, ..that's all there is to it. If he had been mean to me or the hens, or pecked, or attacked in the past two years, I would have got rid of him long ago. This just wasn't the case though. He has shown aggression, yes, but he is not mean. So.. again, for the time being anyway, ..the roo shall live to see another day.

I like the stand you take in this post. Like you've weighed everything up, (and goodness you got a LOT of opinions on this thread), made up your own mind, and then are prepared to live with it, come what may. Kudos, good luck, and continue to enjoy this wonderful unpredictable and kooky world with chooks.

That happened to me with a young pullet. I was holding her and thinking, I'd better be careful, she could peck me in the eye. Before I could even turn, wham, right in the white of my eye. Never again will I hold them that close.

I guess I didn't realize they were descended from dinosaurs. But I always remark to my hubby that they sometimes sound prehistoric. How funny.

I have one that takes spells like that as well. He has never become aggressive and stayed that way. Like you he is such a good protector I hate to have to "deal" with him. I have come to the point where I never turn my back on him and I never go in the coop without something, like a boat paddle, in my hand. He is a good protector for my hens and I have decided to just deal with it. Other than putting them in the pot for dinner I am not sure there is anything else to do. My husband had whapped him pretty hard a couple of times and that seemed to calm him for a while. We were afraid we had hurt him badly but he is just fine. I will be interested to see if anyone else has a better suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom