2 yr old rooster has gone psycho

Guess I typed this in the wrong area. I am new to chickens. I have a question about trimming spurs. Are they able to be trimmed like a dogs toe nails? I know that dogs have a vein in them that can cause a lot of bleeding if nicked. Are the spurs like that as well?

Guess I typed this in the wrong area.  I am new to chickens.  I have a question about trimming spurs.  Are they able to be trimmed like a dogs toe nails?  I know that dogs have a vein in them that can cause a lot of bleeding if nicked.  Are the spurs like that as well? 
yes, the spurs have a quick as well.
Some people use a hot potato to remove the spurs.

Wow - really needed to read this thread. Been preparing myself to have my aggressive rooster, a RIR, processed when I integrate some new chicks into my flock. It is interesting to note that for some reason 2 years old seems to be a common age for the aggression to really show itself. I had read when I got my RIR that they were particularly aggressive and have taken precautions to keep him away from children (and even adults). He stays in the run if I let the hens free range and any children are out or will be out. He has been testing me alot lately and the pinning to the ground only works for about a week or 2 so I do it as a preemptive at least weekly.
But, I guess I never thought that I didn't have to put up with his behavior and to take care of it sooner rather than later. Thanks - Live and learn.
BTW - My hens have not gone broody and so I needn't worry about passing on this gene.

No, but I'm impressed, think its a great idea, and I'll get on it in the morning. Do you think dog nail clippers would do as well?
Um, I guess it depends on the size of the clippers, the strength of them and the size of the spurs. personally I wouldn't use dog clippers due to the size of this guys spurs since they wouldn't have fit anyways. But if you do I'd love to know how they go

Off topic for the psycho rooster thread, but could he have scaly leg mites?
He did have them, and I am treating him for that as well as regular cleaning, flushing and disinfecting just to be sure. Like I said his legs were in an awful state and the smell was awful, I was using tweezers to get under the scales and it was so bad I just chucked them afterwards because I couldn't sterilize the smell out of it.

His legs are looking much better, but the skin is still raw but its a slow healing process.
However I don't think this was just scaly mites, it was more severe than this. I wish I had seen the other birds and the place he was living but I didn't so I cant comment on that

Tid-bitting is that sweet action where the rooster finds goodies and catches and drops them in front of the hen. But there is also fake tid-bitting where the rooster sidles up next to you, pretending to have a treat to share with you, but actually just positioning for a hit.
do they Bob their heads when they do it? I think I had a 2 month old silkie do that the other day.

do they Bob their heads when they do it? I think I had a 2 month old silkie do that the other day.

I guess there's a head bobbing part. My rooster, when he's faking, comes up quite close, keeps one eye on me, and pecks about in the dirt at my feet. But he doesn't make the "goodies" noise, and none of the hens come over, so I know he's just messing.

Back
Top Bottom