2 yr old rooster has gone psycho

My years have brought me to the conclusion that the peace and harmony of the community is of greater weight than the freedom of the individual to exhibit whatever uncivil behavior he or she likes. It is why human communities have law enforcement and even people with poor reasoning skills intuitively know that jails have a place. It is also why I, like you, can't tolerate a bad animal on the property.

But reading your answer to Ganjaroo made me think of a question that I have that you may have experience with. I have a Light Sussex hen with a 'torn out saddle' (what would be the right choice of words for this problem?) and I know her to be aloof and much less personable than another identical bird (probably a full sister) that is calm and pleasant. I have possibly 4 or 5 birds with the damaged saddles out of a flock of 18 hens. Is it possible, or even likely, that the saddle damage is a result of a hen that the roo (there is only one in my flock) has to work harder to mount or that the roo simply doesn't like? If that were the case, is it reasonable to consider this as a possible evidence that they are not as desirable in the flock as the others?

This could be a stretch but it is a question that has gone through my mind.

Thanks

I've raised this bird from a chick, and he has always been VERY protective of my two hens. He has saved them from numerous hawk attacks over the past two years, to the point where the hawks don't even come around anymore, nor do stray cats. .. or anyone else for that matter. lol. Anyway, he has always been sassy and has his aggressive moments, (of course), but has never full out attacked me until today.

I've read posts here before about taming a rooster, and have used the advice of holding him until he calms. This has always seemed to do the trick, and he even (quite often) has his loving moments of being snuggly, sitting on my lap and letting me pet him.

TODAY, he has taken to attacking me everytime I go in the yard or go near him. I had to use a blanket and throw it over him just to pick him up, and even after holding him until he calmed down, he went right back to it as soon as I released him! The last time, he bit my leg, and I'll tell you what, the "holding" him nonsense was OVER. I kicked at him, which only made him more aggressive and he came at me full force. ..neck feathers spiked out, and coming at me with his spurs like he was going to fight me to the death!  I locked him in the coop after that episode, which he hates, but even after his Time Out, he went right back to it and came at me again.

Mama is NOT HAVING THIS.  Honestly, I have always adored him (Until today, that is!!), and really do not want to get rid of him. My hens adore him as well. I'm hoping he snaps out of it but I just don't know..

Any suggestions on what to do with my seemingly possessed rooster??  Has anyone else experienced this drastic change in behavior after two years?

We have a few boys two of which are large Norfolk Lavenders. We hatched them about 3 yrs ago & we've named them Ron & Reg after the Kray twins! Reg is as soft as anything but Ron is just a vicious thug! He'll kill anything that moves including cats & hens! He's attacked me more times than I care to remember & everyone stays well away. He's even destroyed a fox proof wire fence! But D'ya what? I love him & he'll see his days out in a large run all of his own! Doing what nature says? ?

There is something about the 2-year male aging stage that brings out behavior change. Happens in rams and male alpacas too. My rooster needed a couple of Rooster Football games, but I'm watching him. He's pretty, but that's about it. Don't need him. My alpaca, however, got retrained with the squirt bottle of vinegar water. Don't want to fool with rams.

The only rooster I will have is a Silky. 7 out of 10 roos will be sweet into their old age and quite trainable if taken to task as youngsters. I have found the best way to cull is 1-2 hours after the sun goes down. I once culled a sick hen during the day and another saw me and no one wanted anything to do with me for a week. The little witch ratted me out to her flock mates. If done at night those to be culled are quiet and I make sure to not say a word. I get everything ready prior to doing the deed. In the morning
everyone acts like its a new day and I am not looked at like an axe murderer.

The only rooster I will have is a Silky. 7 out of 10 roos will be sweet into their old age and quite trainable if taken to task as youngsters. I have found the best way to cull is 1-2 hours after the sun goes down. I once culled a sick hen during the day and another saw me and no one wanted anything to do with me for a week. The little witch ratted me out to her flock mates. If done at night those to be culled are quiet and I make sure to not say a word. I get everything ready prior to doing the deed. In the morning
everyone acts like its a new day and I am not looked at like an axe murderer.

Lol! I still have to learn how to cull, but thanks for letting me know I need to do it in the evening and out of eyesight of my hens.

I have found the best way to cull is to tie a noose around their neck and one around their feet .The feet are held by the noose tied to a pole or a wood post and you hold the rope / to the neck noose in your hand. gently stretch the neck over a piece of wood board and chop with a SHARP hand axe. The body will flutter but quiet down and you then can bury the body under a fruit tree.

I have found the best way to cull is to tie a noose around their neck and one around their feet .The feet are held by the noose tied to a pole or a wood post and you hold the rope / to the neck noose in your hand. gently stretch the neck over a piece of wood board and chop with a SHARP hand axe. The body will flutter but quiet down and you then can bury the body under a fruit tree.

You don't eat them?

Back
Top Bottom