$20.00 for a pullet??

The price does not seem that bad to me. Getting replacement pullets at 12+ weeks means you will be getting eggs with out much wait. I can't imagine that there are very many places selling them in the bay area and that would drive up the price. You also paid $4.99 for 2 week old chicks in your area and that seems high. If you use that as a starting point you are only paying $15.00 for pullets that will be laying sooner.

dsqard posted about the 6-8 week old pullets for $8.00, but they are in NC and you are in CA.

If the these girls are near you and you only want a few I don't think it is a bad deal for your area. That being said I'm cheep and I'd probably go to a site that sold day old chicks for a few dollars.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Yeah, we thought about getting day old chicks, the only problem with that is we have 2 already that are 8 weeks old. I don't want to have issues with introducing them. Plus, my daughter is crazy for them and I don't trust her with chicks that young.

Rachel's ad says she has 8 week olds available starting tomorrow.

Also, my neighbors dog broke through our fence and killed ours, which is why I'm replacing them. She offered to pay me for them but I told her no thanks, because I was mad at her and she wasn't even apologetic. I guess maybe I should take it back and tell her I want the money??

Quote:
Quote:
There's nothing more I can say.
smile.png

I have heard of people asking $2 to $20 with $2 being for day old and $20 being almost ready to lay. Honestly if I thought they were healthy, well tempered, and gonna start laying any day now, I might shell out $20 just to save the time and effort of raising peeps.

How many do you need? What types?

Maybe you should go talk to the neighbor and show her the website so that she understands what your girls were worth (on the open market - to you they were pricleess I'm sure).

To me it sounds kind of high. I think that the seller has some really great advertising going on. It true that the chicks maybe worth worth more because of the time and feed put into them, but few of us can make much more than just feed costs, unless maybe there is show stock involved. I have sold laying hens for just 10.00 here in the Seattle area. But California is typically more expensive than further north here.

It really isn't very hard to brood day old chicks yourself.

Quote:
Breed Selection
TruNorth Farm has evaluated over one hundred poultry breeds based on four key criteria: egg-laying frequency, friendliness (docile rating), adaptability (tolerance for confinement) and beauty. Only those breeds, in our team's opinion, best suited for your enjoyment make the journey to be raised at TruNorth Farm. 100% of our pullets are sourced from leading U.S. hatcheries. This insures that (1) each and every day-old chick begins its life from the highest quality breed stock, and (2) all chickens are professionally vaccinated for Marek's disease.

Pullet Development
During their first four weeks, each "class" of pullets resides in temperature-controlled brooders where they receive around the clock attention and care. We monitor the health of every chick daily. After week four, they are relocated into a large protected coop where they enjoy lots of fresh air and the warmth of a custom heated shelter. Weeks five through eight are spent socializing, stretching, flying and bulking up on food during this fast growth stage.

What breed are you looking for? When I first was looking at chickens I contacted TruNorth. They purchase chicks in bulk and then raise them up, just so you're aware that they're not breeders themselves. Also, the Ameraucanas are Easter Eggers. Let us know what breed you're looking for... I'll help look
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom