20 Buttons and a Power Outage--

CatJane0x0

Songster
10 Years
May 5, 2010
Alpena, MI
I set another round of eggs...just couldn't resist! Everything was going fine... until we lost power about a week before the hatch! A bad storm hit here and tore off some siding and shingles...some crazy wind. I watched the incubator as it dropped down to 90 degrees quickly and then started digging around for a way to save them since it was getting colder in the house. (I wasn't sure how long button eggs could last in the cold.) I grabbed a cardboard box, 13 tea lights, 2 thermometers and a towel. I got the temperature to stay in between 99-100 degrees in the box by moving the towel and candles around. I also shifted the eggs around from time to time while watching the thermometers. Luckily, it only took a few hours for the power to come on...I couldn't believe it since we live far out in the country here. A lot of people here went a few days without it since so many were hit. Lucky little eggs...I hoped.

Now I just had to wait.
On the 15th day I could hear slight noises in a few. -- Sure enough on the 16th day around 7 AM they hatched! At first just one....and then 20!
I had hatched out my fourth batch of buttons! Out of 23 possible 20 made it out healthy as can be.
celebrate.gif

Here is the hillbilly egg box ( I crashed into the box before putting the eggs in and spilled some wax in there
hu.gif
) :

100_6118.jpg

And the twenty new buttons!!

100_6138.jpg

100_6135.jpg

100_6127.jpg

100_6123.jpg

Now it is time to order that car adapter for my Hova-bator...

Last edited:
Thanks! I was pretty scared since I couldn't look up anything online or much else when it happened. I just know I need that special car adapter, but I don't know what I'd have done if I'd been without power for as long as three days, lol --
roll.png

I'm just glad they hatched. They are tough little birds!

Good idea! I'll have to think about this. I could use a wood box with glass over most of the top, or better yet, something metal (set up so that the metal itself doesn't get hot and fry the eggs).

Going to have to think on this for a while...

Wow - Amazing ... You must be a lucky person, my first batch of buttons I ever incubated I had a bad storm come up and the incubator was off for a long time - all of them died.
hmm.png

Where did you get the "Eggs" from?
big_smile.png

Thanks guys, lol -- it's amazing how terrified you can get when these things happen...almost movie value terror. I wonder how long they could have held on under 66 degrees? Since I wasn't sure I decided to just freak out, lol
tongue.png
But, I am surprised to have had just three losses (plus one that was clear) in this batch! I am pretty new with these little fellas and just hatching eggs with incubators in general so I was just terrified when we lost power for the first time during incubating. It is a new issue for me to look up on here and learn from, but boy am I happy they made it!
thumbsup.gif

Mrs.Fluffy Puffy --
I got my first eggs from already hatched chicks that I adopted and fell in love with. I figured they would be much smaller compared to the bird...even their first eggs! I have never had any bird like these before. For some reason I just really like these guys! (I finally ordered a copy of "A Closer Look At Button Quails" last night.
big_smile.png
Can't wait to get it!)

I have seen that book for sale alot, just never got around to buying it!
smile.png
Sounds like a good book, though.
thumbsup.gif

hit.gif
This morning one of my female buttons died, I'm down to 18 buttons!
hit.gif
Poor Lil' Bunny!
hit.gif

Do you have any idea what colors you have? More Pics -
pop.gif

Sorry for your loss...Bunny is cute name. What color was she? I lost my only silver hen, Silvia, from egg binding some time ago. They are just such delicate little things, but at the same time they can be mighty. I always worry about the other girls as far as laying, but at least I have the head bonking under control for the most now! (I wish they'd cut that out, lol)

I will get some pictures taken tonight and check the cam to see what's in there...
The previous batch of chicks are growing up fast! I will snap some new pics of them also.

Back
Top Bottom