20 Days -- Black Blobs Visible When Candling

I would leave them in the bator and stop touching them, You shouldnt be candling after day 18 anyway.

Its hard to tell what you mean by blob, at day 20 the eggs should be mostly dark inside, I would call that a blob.

Plus with your temp being a little low they could devloping slower, and just be later hatchers. Did you see any movement when you candled ? I'd leave em in till day 23-24

Yeah, let them go for another few days and then work on the bator temp regulation. Eggs/chicks can't regulate their temps really, and you want to keep temp fluctuation within 1-2 deg. Humidity can vary 10% around ideal and be just fine as long as they lose enough moisture, but temp is essential. If I remember right, with commercial eggs, hatch rates were optimal with temps within 1 degrees of fluctuation, and down from there. Minimal developmental temp was something like 90 to activate the egg, with 103 internal egg temp killing them. Perhaps you were thinking that the eggs act as a heat sink, which is correct, in that it takes longer for their temp to change relative to the air, but stable air = stable eggs.

Best of luck!

Get a wafer thermostat and switch instead of the hot water heater thermostat. You will probably have to order online, but it will keep your temps much steadier.

Back
Top Bottom