20 hr old poults still wet

Sevenup

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 20, 2010
I've got three Turkey poults that are still very wet looking, I haven't opened the incubator at all, they are between 18-24 hrs old, any suggestions?

Not every one will agree with me on this,but I take them out of the bator & put them in the brooder under a light, as soon as they hatch. I drop the light closer every time I add a new chick then raise it a 1/2 hour later when the chick is dry. They fluff much faster, & I loose less chicks doing that......

Are you sure they are wet? Could they just be gummy? They look wet still when gummy, but when you touch them it will be crunchy feeling. I've had a couple chicks hatch this way, and they work it off in a few days.

Ok, our turkey hatchlings are 3 days old now and I guess it was part high humidity in the bator and part "gummy".
They look like they have spots here and there with "gel" on them.

Quote:
I had a few "sticky" chicks and they fluffed right up after being put in the brooder. The more interaction they have with the other chicks, the better,--it seems to help fluff up the sticky parts.

I've never hatched in a bator, but it makes sense that rubbing against other chicks or a warm towel would help. Normally they would be sandwiched between mama's feather-duster underside and all of the siblings. My chicks that hatched with a broody took under an hour to fluff.

Back
Top Bottom