20 week old hen sneezing gaping

tjs22

Chirping
Mar 2, 2016
2 chickens in my flock have had a slight case of the sniffles. One in particular has me concerned as today I noticed she was opening her beak to take a breath, then closing it then opening it again to take another breath repeatedly. Is this a gapeworm thing or respiratory?

Those are the only symptoms. I'm going to keep a close eye on her today to see how active she is and to make sure she's eating.

Last edited:
2 chickens in my flock have had a slight case of the sniffles. One in particular has me concerned as today I noticed she was opening her beak to take a breath, then closing it then opening it again to take another breath repeatedly. Is this a gapeworm thing or respiratory?

Those are the only symptoms. I'm going to keep a close eye on her today to see how active she is and to make sure she's eating.
Can you post a video or some photos?

What is slight case of sniffles? Is there sneezing, discharge from nostrils? If there is a discharge, does it smell?

It sounds like she has a respiratory illness. It could be infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma G. or one of the many other illnesses that present with gasping for air.

Separate her and make sure she stays hydrated and eats. She may benefit from antibiotics.

She is not gasping today, but her wattles are not the right color, they turned a darker red color. She is sneezing quite a bit, I there is no nasal discharge. Today I noticed there are quite a few that are sneezing occasionally. With no discharge or lethargy. I believe it started when I changed their bedding from hay to pine shavings. Don't know if the dust would have caused it?? Should I treat the whole flock with antibiotics? And what and where would I get them. Or try natural methods? I'm getting rid of the pine shavings today and switching back to hay. And we are putting in more ventilation today in the coop.

She is not gasping today, but her wattles are not the right color, they turned a darker red color. She is sneezing quite a bit, I there is no nasal discharge. Today I noticed there are quite a few that are sneezing occasionally. With no discharge or lethargy. I believe it started when I changed their bedding from hay to pine shavings. Don't know if the dust would have caused it?? Should I treat the whole flock with antibiotics? And what and where would I get them. Or try natural methods? I'm getting rid of the pine shavings today and switching back to hay. And we are putting in more ventilation today in the coop.
It's possible it could have been from the change in bedding, stirring up dust, dander, mold, etc. Pine shaving generally are ok for bedding, but dumping them could have stirred more dust. You mention putting in more ventilation, so without enough air flow that could be partly the problem as well.

If you want to use some type of treatment I would try something like VetRx first and see if the ventilation fix and coop clean out works before using antibiotics.

With Summer hot, humid weather, check your coop for any signs of mold/mildew that may be lurking in corners, under bedding, etc. If there is any try to get rid of it. That can cause problems to chickens delicate respiratory system.

Hopefully that will clear up the sneezing and you won't require further treatment.

Last edited:
So there are still some occasional sneezers, and 2 that are having it much worse. They are active, no discharge or anything. One is sneezing so hard she is honking The other weases at night. I bought vetrx and have been using that for 2 days, so far no improvement. I did switch out the bedding. How long should I wait before I give antibiotics? And I'm wondering if I should treat everyone.

So there are still some occasional sneezers, and 2 that are having it much worse. They are active, no discharge or anything. One is sneezing so hard she is honking The other weases at night. I bought vetrx and have been using that for 2 days, so far no improvement. I did switch out the bedding. How long should I wait before I give antibiotics? And I'm wondering if I should treat everyone.

Treat the ones that are showing symptoms. If you can separate them, that would be best.
Any other symptoms besides the sneezing? Runny nose/eyes, coughing, etc.?

You can use Tylan 50. Dosage is 1cc or ml per 5pounds of weight or 1/2cc for bantams. Give it orally or as an injection in the breast muscle 1/4" deep alternating every day. Treat for 5days.

Here's some info on common respiratory illnesses:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I have 24 birds, the "2" have me concerned now than the others due to the fact they are sneezing so much, and the one is weezing, but still active although she looks tired at times. They have no discharge, but sound slightly "snotty". There is probably 10 of the others that are sneezing, and a few that are starting to sound mucousy. I can't isolate all of them.. Wondering if I should get tylan50 for the really ill, and put some other type in the water for the others??

yes, you can mix soluble Tylan powder with water and have it as their only source of water.
1 tsp. mixed with 1 gal. water, make it fresh every day and give for 5 days.
Put the powder in the container first, then add the water.

That powder is expensive.. the injectables can be given orally, correct? I may go that route because of the cost. Or is there a different more affordable powder?

That powder is expensive.. the injectables can be given orally, correct? I may go that route because of the cost. Or is there a different more affordable powder?

Yes you can give Tylan 50 injectable orally.
Do you have someone who can give you a hand dosing all of them? You may want to wait until nighttime when roosting, then it might make it easier to dose each bird -just a thought
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom