20 week old hen sneezing gaping

Update: Terra-Vet 10 appeared to have little to no effect on the whole flock. Still sneezing and mucousy sounding. I did end up buying the Tylan 50 injectable to give orally to the hen that was gaping (mostly at night). After 1 dose I have not seen her gaping at all! Tonight was dose 3, I plan to give 2 more does over the next 2 days, of course, for a total of 5 doses over a span of 5 days, 1 cc each night. Another question:
What is the egg withdrawl from Tylan 50 injectable, given orally? Can't seem to find any information about that
Glad to hear about improvement!

Looks like withdrawal for Tylan50 injectable would be 1week.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/589410/tylan-50-injectable-taken-orally (Post 9)

Update - hen I treated with tylan 50 still seems better than she was, however I caught her gaping once today. And she it's still mucusy sounding. But at least she's not knocking on deaths door like she was.
Ill hen #2-hasn't laid in 2 consecutive days (odd) coughing increased. Checked her tonight and she had this TERRIBLE smell coming from her mouth! Like you can smell it 2 feet away. (Her crop wasn't squishy,i could feel food in there) Gave her tylan 50. Does the smell mean anything significant other than an infection??

Update - hen I treated with tylan 50 still seems better than she was, however I caught her gaping once today. And she it's still mucusy sounding. But at least she's not knocking on deaths door like she was.
Ill hen #2-hasn't laid in 2 consecutive days (odd) coughing increased. Checked her tonight and she had this TERRIBLE smell coming from her mouth! Like you can smell it 2 feet away. (Her crop wasn't squishy,i could feel food in there) Gave her tylan 50. Does the smell mean anything significant other than an infection??
Was hen#2 being treated with the Tylan as well?

She may have a sour crop - this could be the cause of the smell from her mouth.

Have you looked inside her mouth to see if there are any lesions/canker in there. Is there any mucous coming from her nose - if so does the mucous smell?

http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues-html/
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour.html

No I haven't treated hen#2 with tylan 50 yet. Yesterday was first dose. I knew it was coming though her coughing from whatever respiratory thing that's going on in the flock was getting worse she's been coughing for weeks, but otherwise seems normal.. (The flock didn't respond to terravet10 treatment, so I decided to just treat the very ill with tylan 50.) The crop wasn't huge when I checked it. But I'll monitor it. She also had thick clear fluid (mucous?) In her mouth I noticed when I gave her tylan.

Edit:crop empty this morning

Last edited:
No I haven't treated hen#2 with tylan 50 yet. Yesterday was first dose. I knew it was coming though her coughing from whatever respiratory thing that's going on in the flock was getting worse she's been coughing for weeks, but otherwise seems normal.. (The flock didn't respond to terravet10 treatment, so I decided to just treat the very ill with tylan 50.) The crop wasn't huge when I checked it. But I'll monitor it. She also had thick clear fluid (mucous?) In her mouth I noticed when I gave her tylan.

Edit:crop empty this morning

You mention she smells terrible - is it the mucous that is smelly?
Any mucous in the eyes?
Since you are able to smell her before you even pick her up, it's possible she may have Infectious Coryza. Has she been eating/drinking fairly well? Try to keep her hydrated the best you can and see if the Tylan will help.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/82/infectious-coryza/
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Not sure if it's the mucous that's smelly. Will check tonight when I dose her tylan. No noticeable eye or nasal discharge. She has been coughing for probably a month. It was really bad this morning.
Whatever is ailing my flock has been showing symptoms for about 6 weeks. Thought it would be gone by now! At least half are sneezing once in a while, and I can hear mucous when I'm close to some of them. If there is any nasal discharge it's very little and clear. They don't seem to be getting significantly worse(minus hen #2) and yet don't seem to be improving..They are just coming into laying age, 11 out of 22 are laying almost daily, at 22 weeks old. A quarter to half of roost droppings that I clean up in the morning are liquidy brown.
Could all off this be coryza??

Not sure if it's the mucous that's smelly. Will check tonight when I dose her tylan. No noticeable eye or nasal discharge. She has been coughing for probably a month. It was really bad this morning.
Whatever is ailing my flock has been showing symptoms for about 6 weeks. Thought it would be gone by now! At least half are sneezing once in a while, and I can hear mucous when I'm close to some of them. If there is any nasal discharge it's very little and clear. They don't seem to be getting significantly worse(minus hen #2) and yet don't seem to be improving..They are just coming into laying age, 11 out of 22 are laying almost daily, at 22 weeks old. A quarter to half of roost droppings that I clean up in the morning are liquidy brown.
Could all off this be coryza??
If they have Coryza, they would smell really bad, like a rotten smell. (I've heard it described - smells like a dead animal). So you most likely would have noticed that.
Since this is the first time you have noticed the smell, then "most likely" she may have sour crop. If she is not eating/drinking well and has been under the weather, then her crop may not be functioning up to par and food is fermenting in there. Give her plenty of water, wet feed, limit treats and offer some poultry grit free choice and see if that helps.

Her crop had food in it last night, that I could feel. This morning it was completely empty... Could sour crop be an issue even though it's emptying? And her mouth does smell like a dead animal. But she is the only one I noticed that smells. I'll be on the lookout for other stinky birds now though

Last edited:
Her crop had food in it last night, that I could feel. This morning it was completely empty... Could sour crop be an issue even though it's emptying? And her mouth does smell like a dead animal. But she is the only one I noticed that smells. I'll be on the lookout for other stinky birds now though

It's not likely it's sour crop if it was completely empty this morning.

Can you separate just her so you can monitor her more closely?

Back
Top Bottom