$200 chickens?

Jynuine

Songster
6 Years
Apr 15, 2014
Gaston, OR
I was looking for some chicks to add to our flock when I found this: on craigslist. Really?

I was trying to find out more information on them, but all I was able to find out is there are only certain people have access to the true birds of this kind to sell them? I was wondering if anyone had more information on this- if $200 is worth it for the birds or if the guy is a scam artist/fraud? He seems to be selling out of California. But wow those birds are fancy! You could make a lot of money off of those!

This was his posting:

I had 17 pure white chicks for sale. I sold 15 and now only have 2 left. These are the best 2 that i was going to keep for myself for breeding when they got older but i have so many chicks hatching i don't have room for these 2 roosters pretty soon. They are 3 months old.

Birds are located in California. I can ship the birds anywhere in the US. I have shipped many birds across the US over the years.

Notice the tail angle on my birds... Phoenix longtails have upward angled tails. Onagadori have lower angle tails. Mine are lowered....

All of my long tail birds are some of the best that you can find in the US.
These are not phoenix they are high percentage Onagadori non molting type birds.
My line comes from a few birds in the US that grew over 12 and 14ft tail feathers.

My BB Red rooster grew a 9 ft tail and i am currently breeding him.

I have had so many customers call me and thank me for selling them their kids 4-H Show winning rooster!!!

The two white roosters for sale are Recessive white. My birds have a recessive white gene that allows one parent or even both parents to be colored birds and still produce some white offspring.

Father-- (Silver rooster in the pics)
Father is a huge very high percentage onagadori. He is silver and has over a 4 ft tail and still growing. I believe he is a non molter by the rate of how he is still growing his tail. He is closely related to the DR Ogasawara bloodline that was on the National Geographic for his Onagadori he imported and did studies on here in the US at UC Davis.

Mom--- (White hen in pics)
Mom is Pure white. She is from a totally different bloodline. Her ancestor 3 generations ago was pure white and had a 12 ft tail, here in the US.

So both parents are different bloodlines and are bother very high percentage Onagadori.
They will be extremely healthy, big, and very pretty and should get a very long tail if they are raised right.

The two white roosters are 3 months old. Check out their pics.

First 3 pics is the birds cousin at 6 months old, their uncle at 8 months old, and the grandfather at 2 years old just starting to grow his tail after molt. There's also a pic of my BB Red that grew over a 9 ft tail.

The young 3 month old roosters for sale are the last few pics i posted.You can see that these are really high quality birds and will be amazing when they get older. They should get over a 4 ft tail and hopefully longer with proper care.

Only 2 of these 3 month old roosters left!

-Jyn

Edited the contact information. BYC rules disallow the publishing of personal information, especially of someone without their knowledge. BYC also forbids advertising anywhere except within BST. We don't want to advertise this listing anymore than necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG they are sooo cool- they look like living statues!
But are they worth $5,000 !?

Chickens don't have an absolute value. Gold & oil trade on a world market so their value is set by market conditions
The value of a chicken is established by agreement between seller & buyer. If someone pys$5,000 for a chicken that chicken is de facto "worth" $5,000-to them. If all the seller manages to get for that same chicken is $2 then the chicken is only worth $2. A chicken is worth whatever you can get someone to pay you for it.

$200.00 is cheap for good stock, you can raise and feed $10.00 chickens but a $200.00 chicken won't eat any more than the cheap one but their chicks are worth more ;)

Last edited:
I agree! So many things happen to chickens, they don't live that long either. Well thank you guys!
I think I know of this seller. His birds are awesome. This is not expensive at all for this breed. Nine foot tail? Wow! Wonderful!
This is a rare breed. If you are looking for this breed, you should contact him.
Best,
Karen in western PA, USA

I think I know of this seller. His birds are awesome. This is not expensive at all for this breed. Nine foot tail? Wow! Wonderful!
This is a rare breed. If you are looking for this breed, you should contact him.
Best,
Karen in western PA, USA

I've never even known about the breed until recently. That seems like more of an investment... if I had a money tree, yes a $200 chicken would be great :D

Back
Top Bottom