2010 HomeMade Chicken Incubator Contest - Win $20 Gift Cert. Ends 9/12

celebrate.gif
I finally got this done. Here is our New 60 egg Incubator. I hope it all makes since. It's been a long day and my brain went to mush about an hour or so ago. PM me if you have any questions.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=36989-cabnit-incubator

Hope it helps some one spark an idea or two. Thanks to all the BYCers that have posted be for us. Most of my ideas and all of my research came form here. And Thanks to nifty for have such an awsome and informative site.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
4hills might sound crazy but how to you wire the hot water heater to the light and the fan?

Quote:
I had a old skill saw that finally broke, so I cut off the 6' cord for my power cord. On the back of the bator I boared a 1" hole to install a short 1/2" piece of pvc pipe with a 90 on one end. I attached a 2 gang metal box on back of the bator. The pvc that goes through the bator comes out in the center of the metal box. Now, when you skin back the power cord you will have 3 wires: Black, White and copper.
Electrical is pretty simple once you understand the 3 wires. Black is your hot wire ( it brings the power into your device & the one that shocks you ) White is called the nuetral ( all it does is complete the circuit or loop ) and copper is your ground. After I attached the power cord to the metal box, I started making the connections. I wanted both my fans to run all the time, so to make this happen I had to hook up to the power (Black) before the thermostat. The thermo is only a switch just like a light switch in your home. On the fans after you cut off the plug end, you will find you only have 2 wires and they are both black. Look closely, one of the wires will have ribs running down the side. This is your black and the other is your white. I put the fans where I wanted in the bator, then ran the wires through the pvc and into the metal box. Connect the ones with the ribs to the black from your power cord. Also connect the other ones to the white. Your fans are now wired. Also take you a single wire, perferable black, and conect it to all the other blacks in the metal box and take another white wire and connect it to all the other whites in the box. Run both these into the bator. Connect the black wire to the #1 screw on the thermostat. This is your power comming into your light circuit. Put another Black wire on the #2 screw on the thermostat. I have 2 lights. They both have only 2 wires. One black & one white. Connect both blacks from your light sources to the black wire comming off the #2 screw of the thermostat. Then connect both of the white wires from your light sources to the white that you brought in from the metal box. Your light circuit is complete. The light should stay on until the temp reaches the max set on the thermostat. Then they will turn off because the thermostat ( light switch ) turned they off. They will come back on when the low temp is reached inside the bator and the thermostat ( light switch ) turnes them back on.
thumbsup.gif

Hope this helps. If you want I can draw it up for you to see.

Quote:
Yes they hatched sunday and one on monday morning. We set 23 cochins eggs. 7 off a new splash cockerel we got in Feb. none of them hatched. The others were from a black trio and only 6 of them hatched. I don't think it had anything to do with the bator. I think the problem with the black was we caged them when we started collecting the eggs and I dont think they mated in the cage. With the splash ?? Who knows!! We are going to set a few more off him and see what happens.

We are going to set 24 eggs Saturday. 6 BLRW, 6 GLW, 6 Columbian Wyndots and 6 Partridge Rocks. We'll see what happens with this batch.

Last edited:
4 hills not yet but your instructions where clear and easy to follow I have been working too much! LOL

Back
Top Bottom