2011 Chickens- Plans, Updates and Talking!

Well I have many Poultry Plans:

**Around the first week of March my Doms get their first culling. Picking the ones who are not laying.
**Around the second week of March get some chicks. Hopefully 6 BOs, 4 PRs, 2 BAs, 25 BA Cockerels
** Around July begin processing the roos
**Around the first of September the last cull of the year for the Doms
**In April hopefully hatch some Muscovies from my Ducks

Well I have 3 flocks ATM.
The 8 girls in a 30x50 open air run with an 8'x8' coop.
Inside of the coop are 11 rapidly growing chicks. Some are pure White Rocks and some are WR and SS crosses.
Outside I have 10 free rangers known as the chicklets. 5 are White Rocks and 5 are Silver Sebrights.

My plans for this next year...
Construction
Build another 40'x50' open air run with another 8'x8' coop for my White Rock flock.

Flock Management
Take the white rock hens from my 11 chicks and put them with the main White Rock flock.
Take the other hen chicks and integrate them with my egg laying girls.
Take the chicks that are roos and make them capons or harvest them. I don't need more roos.

New Birds
Pick up a good incubator to hatch more WR and SS chicks.
Pick up more TSC sex link pullets to intermingle with the girls.
Perhaps add some new WR hens to my flock for genetic diversity.

New Skills
Learn how to make a capon.

Shouldn't be too tough to do.

Quote:
Depends... DH got his Bach this month, plans to start Grad school in the Fall (can't start on a Spring semester evidently)... once he has his Masters then he can begin applying for (college level) teaching positions... and eventually -hopefully- find one... once we know that THEN we can see about buying a house... not only the where, but the income too... for now he's working with his Dad, which gives him a stable income AND the freedom needed to go to school no matter how wonky the schedule... wouldn't have that freedom elsewhere... anywho, so until we know where we'll be it doesn't make sense to even try buying a house... because in two years (ZERO equity) we'd just have to sell it and move to who knows where... also getting a loan is impossible with our current credit (that we're working on) and income... so we're renting... like this house because it's all of five minutes from DH's work and from his school... though he won't be attending Grad there, not offered in his field, he'll either go to UNT (and hour away) or UoD (30 mins away) won't know until applications are processed, tuition figured (UoD mentioned possible half price, UNT is already half their price but twice the distance and more Green than Classic-DH's preference)...

PHEW... or to put it the short way... everything is up in the air... and will be for at least another two years, possibly three. And then we have no idea where we'll end up... Tulsa or Tennessee... Denver or Des Moines (I hope not, I hate cold)... so we're renting and will continue renting... and not all rentals are the same. MANY do not allow pets at all... many allow a dog at a steep cost ... some allow multiple dogs (we have three) at a very steep cost... some might allow chickens, but maybe not. Definitely not an option if we get stuck in an apartment as opposed to a house rental.

I HOPE we can stay here until DH is done with GS... keep our dogs and our birds... stable... no idea what we'll do if the word comes down. So, think happy, not greedy, status quo thoughts for the coming year/s.

We've got four gold sex links, and they are great girls... good attitudes, healthy, and great layers... I'd love to have a varied basket, but with the NO roos rule getting chicks that aren't guaranteed female is a risk... so we'll prolly stick with our GSL's unless someone happens to want to trade (so we remain at four total) an already laying (proven female) Amer or EE for one of our already laying GSLs... but I'm not counting on that.

Well.... You ready
tongue.png

**next week(ish) separate the bantam Faverolles in to a breeding pen**
** Last week in Jan. Separate the 'Lorps in to right breeding pens**
** in Feb, look into the old 400 egg incu' i have.**
** In late March/Early April, send money order away for the lagshan (gee i for get how to spell now
hmm.png
)

That's all i know now...

This year is starting off with us acquiring a small camper/trailer to put in the back yard and fix it up for me to use for an art and jewelry design studio. By this time next year, we hope/plan to be living someplace better, larger, farther away from people in a more country atmosphere, and have a LOT more chickens.

Good luck with all of your plans everyone!
clap.gif
I'm going to be building a new chicken cop, and either hatching SF, Silkie, and Frizzle eggs, or raising chicks.
smile.png

Hopefully...
find a couple of bantam black sumatra pullets...
Enter the chicken show.
Get either.. a showgirl,silkie,Sultan,or a CORNISH.
love.gif

I will be..
hatching and breeding show quality chickens..
I WILL be Hatching random turkens,seramas and EE... with my purebreds..
gig.gif

Finish my show bird's pen...
Train my show bird's to stay in their stances..
bun.gif

Back
Top Bottom