2011 Chickens- Plans, Updates and Talking!

PepsNick

Back to Business
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Egglanta, GA
Well it's 2011... Decided I'd just start a thread for this year to talk about our new plans? Geez I have a lot! You pretty much just talk about your poultry... Anyone in? I guess I'll start!

I currently have two coops. A 5x3 coop 2 ft off the ground with a large run that we had built, and a tractor coop from the feed store. Only the 5x3 is being used right now- it holds four pullets, nine months old.

Zucchini, EE
Pepper, BR
Amelia, White Rock
Lily, BSL

I get brown and pink-ish eggs from lily and pepper, pepper's have white dots on them. Amelia lays brown and Zucchini (zuzu) lays a great turquoise.

The tractor isnt being used now- though it's soon to hold three more pullets for laying- haven't decided on the breed yet, but I'm thinking blue ameraucana, some maran and a deleware. It also has a large run. In the spring I'll be converting a large, nice shed from Home Depot with a big run, making it the main coop with hopefully a large amount of chicks from McMurray. The current 5x3 coop I hope to use for bantams, and the tractor will be for the sick and injured birds. I would also like to build four small coops and runs for penning different breeds.

I sell eggs in Atlanta for $3.60 a dozen to friends and family- we do delivery and are soon to start setting up at the farmer's market.

Maybe sometime in the future I could build a coop made out of complete recycled material for a friend who is in desperate need of a new coop- maybe in the Summer. I just ordered a mini-fridge to store eggs in and am hoping (
fl.gif
) to get the Brinsea Octagon Eco 20 as a new incubator. I have a large dog crate for a brooder- it can be divided into two parts to hold different groups of chicks. It stays in my garage.

My theory for raising is to vaccinate for cocci and marek's and worm once or twice a year. I HATE dealing with disease. Period. If they're not vaccinated for cocci then I raise the chicks on medicated feed up to fourteen weeks of age, when their body can typically be cocci-resistant. My flock is currently fed layer feed with soy for $25. I will PROBABLY be switching to Purina start and grow, then Layena at 19 weeks of age. The girls are free ranged for the most part, but I do OFFER oyster shell anyway. Berries, watermelon, corn on the cob, cracked corn in Winter and CHICKEN are their favorite treats.

Well... That's my chicken story... Just thought I could hear about others', too.
smile.png

edited to add: I'll upload some pictures later, now I'm using mobile.

Last edited:
Best of luck with all your plans, Nick. I'm planning a big hatch around March of good quality Barred Rocks, some Blue Rocks and Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas from halo and some porcelain D'Anvers from Boggy Bottom Bantams. I won't keep many from any one of those, just need some to replace my aging girls and the bantams are just for fun since we really adore Shadow. There will be some extra pullets, if the hatch goes well, so maybe you can come up and meet me this spring sometime and get one of those Ameraucanas you asked me about.
smile.png

Quote:
That would be real fun, and I have relatives close to where you live up there. Hopefully the hatch will be great- good luck to you! I was wondering when you're going to hatch again. I love all those breeds.

Sounds like everyone has some great plans! we're new to the chicken craze but we're planning on expanding the coop and the run in the spring and then hatch chicks in time for Easter. little fuzzybutts in baskets! i will be taking lots of pictures.
tongue.png
we're also going to be getting a few endangered heritage breeds (not sure which breeds yet) because my dad is like that.
big_smile.png

2011 Chickens - Plans? Perhaps I can get my Chicken Math Calculator subtract button to work.

I have so many good plans running through my mind! I'm not sure which ones are gonna happen first!

I plan to build a second coop and run. And I also want to build a small tractor for the little chicks. I'm going to a local feed store to pick out some new members for the flock this spring--can't wait!
jumpy.gif

Depending on the coop size, I'm not sure how many new chickens I'll get. Hopefully I can upgrade my coop size to something as big as a walk-in!

I think I'll stick to this, since it will be a load of work!
lol.png

Spring needs to hurry up!
yippiechickie.gif

Tick, tock, tick, tock...

Everyone's plans sound great! 2011 is gonna be a good year! Chickencutie-
welcome-byc.gif

I'm out if town right now, but cannot WAIT to get home to start planning.
ya.gif
celebrate.gif

Keeping our four GSLs because that's all we're allowed here...

Oh and hoping the landlord doesn't come through with his mumblings about raising the rent... cuz then we'd have to move and no telling whether we could keep our hens, n'mind our three dogs. *crosses fingers* That would be a HUGE bummer. For years he's been claiming that his mom (elderly in a home) still lived here so he got a cheap tax/insurance rate... but then he got busted (no fines just raised the rate) and is now having to pay as an investment property (rental) for taxes and (I think) insurance... hence grumbling because the profit margin shifted... FIL (friend of his) was the one to hear these grumblings... and told him that DH's income hasn't gone up one cent since we moved in over four years ago... price of everything milk to electric has... so if he raises the rent it could mean us having to leave... and that puts him back to where he was before we moved in... a house in sad need of repairs that he's too cheap to make... and yet they'd need to be made in order to sell or rent the house... to anyone other than someone like us who's just thrilled to be in this area, for a price we can afford and can help with repairs/live with them... I honestly think that's the only reason he's held off... and hope he continues... I hate moving!

Back
Top Bottom