2011 dates for Kankakee Illinois Bird Swap (updated for 2011)

mothergoose

Crowing
16 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Chebanse, Illinois
2011 dates
---------------

Sunday April 3rd

Sunday May 1st

Sunday June 5th

Sunday Sept. 4th

Sunday Oct. 2nd

hours 5 am - noon (the early bird gets the worm) Stuff sells fast, huge swap.
Sellers single vehicle $10 truck w/ trailer $20 fee to sell
buyers/lookers $2 per adult kids are free

See you at the swap,
Christie
big_smile.png

Last edited:
It is at the Kankakee Co fairgrounds. It is 1 mile south of the I 57 interstate #308 exit. If you get off the interstate and head south on Rt 45-52 for 1 mile. The fairgrounds is on the west side of the road. Impossible to miss on swap days, just follow the line of traffic. They start lining up around midnight waiting for the gates to open ( usally open gates around 4:30 am). We try to get in line by 3 am just to avoid having to be in the line out on the highway....sometimes it is not early enough.
Christie
smile.png

Yes lots of birds, animals, dogs, cats, warm room reptials, house birds...etc.. ALso Smith Poultry Supplies is at every swap to fix you up with all your poultry supply needs, meds, and incubating needs. It is worth the trip.
Christie
smile.png

osuman it opens at 5:30 bring a flashlight really busy place, been going for a couple of years. everything you ever wanted is there. if you go go by mothergooses stand she always has nice birds

They do not offer overnight camping, but you are welcome to get there early and get in line and sleep in your vehicle or motorhome if you have one. There is also motels within 2 miles of the fairgrounds.
Christie
smile.png

I'd like to bring some birds, this would be my first time at a swap. Could you experienced swappers give me some insights?

Do the birds need health papers, and if so, how do you go about getting health papers?

How do people set up their spaces? Is everybody outside?

Can you sell out of your truck and trailer?

Are sellers expected to provide cages or crates for birds they sell, and if so are cardboard boxes with holes appropriate?

Do buyers expect to be able to negotiate down a posted price?

And now the tricky one; has anyone ever brought their birds home because they did not sell, and find they picked up an illness at the swap?

Do people generally require cash only or do some of you take checks?

Sorry for all the questions but it is a bit of hike for me to get to Kankakee so I really want to be prepared!

Back
Top Bottom