2011 dates for Kankakee Illinois Bird Swap (updated for 2011)

Technically you are required to have them blood tested. Just the same as if you were taking them to a show. The state has only been there once to check everyone for proper paperwork in the last 8 years, but they could show up anytime and best to be prepared. Your local livestock vet usually can test for you or can direct you to a certified poultry tester in your area.
Most people pay to sell outside, out of your truck and/or trailer. They do have indoor space, but mostly warmroom animals and house birds are inside.
If you do not want to have to take any birds home, be willing to come down in price. Stuff sells very fast and well. We are only 1 hour south of Chicago, so there is a huge demand for birds and animals to butcher. There is a very large ethnic market. People buy also for pets, breeding, 4H etc. But alot buy to butcher.
We very rarely take much home. We have never had any health issues, but we only live 5 miles from the swap and do not have to haul them far. Illness is just a risk you have to be willing to take.
Cash is best. Alot of sellers come from out of state and will not take checks. It is best to have cash and be able to make change. Lots of buyers pay with large bills ($100's & $50's) So it is a good idea to bring lots of $1's and $5's along.
Christie
smile.png

I'm going to try to make it just to look around...I have heard some really mixed reviews about the sale but I want to check out and see what kind of equipment people are selling.

I second what Mothergoose said about the butchering...there is a huge presence there looking for animals to butcher. So you have to be careful if you don't want someone buying your animals for that purpose. That's why reviews of the sale are so mixed around here...a lot of people are really bothered by that. I know a lot more people that go there to look and buy rather than sell, and also to see what prices are like for the year.

Quote:
Ya, It depends if only 1 person wants it or 2, we must of done bad because we sold some and got 3 a piece LOL, they said start 5 and someone said 3 dollars and no one bid against them so I guess it just depends on the day.

Back
Top Bottom