2014 breeding season begins, post your results

You mean egg-citing?
lau.gif
Sorry just had to say it...

yuckyuck.gif
Nice one!
gig.gif

Anyone that knows what to do! I Judi hatched a chick that had part of it's umbilicus out. It is about 1/2" long and 1/3" wide. It not leaking anything and is sealed off at the end. You can't tell there is anything wrong other than that!

hugs.gif

A photo would be helpful to see how dry it is.

keep the baby on clean towels till it dries like a scab then clip it off to the end of the dried scab you may have to trim it for a day or two , only trim what is dryed ,
You will have to be very careful letting the baby around other chicks if it is visible from the rear as they can peck it and actually pull the cord out and you will have to put the chick down.

I thought my peahens were done laying, but Ice is pacing and was jumping in the nesting box checking it out. Can eggs be fertile if the peacocks still have a few train feathers? I have only been seeing Peep display and he just displays for me. All of them have trains about a foot long right now. Alto has a few long butterfly feathers but the rest is short eye feathers.
Yes they may very well be fertile. Where you been hiden?

:hugs
A photo would be helpful to see how dry it is.

keep the baby on clean towels till it dries like a scab then clip it off to the end of the dried scab you may have to trim it for a day or two , only trim what is dryed ,
You will have to be very careful letting the baby around other chicks if it is visible from the rear as they can peck it and actually pull the cord out and you will have to put the chick down.
[/quote
It is dry so has been hatched for a while.]

So sorry... Not many will survive with an umbilicus like that.

"Omphalitis is a common cause of death in chicks during the first week of life and most common with artificially hatched chicks. It is a bacterial infection of the yolk sac. Various bacteria may be involved in yolk sack infection,
E.coli, Staphylococci, Proteus, Clostridia, fecalis and Pseudomonas."

The above is from an article that Sally Sunshine wrote:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mushy-chick-disease-yolk-sack-infection-omphalitis
-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom