2015 COTURNIX QUAIL THREAD!!!!!!

Hey all! haven't been on for a while... but now need some help finding some quail:

Today started out well. But then I got to yell "plot twist", when I noticed our pibble staring into the quail hut... See, she is the keeper of the chickens and quail. She was alerting me that something something was wrong. Then I went to investigate. Ugh. Followed by running into the house (being the wuss that I am- I just do not do parts of national geographic happening in the backyard... Perfect for owning a farm, I know.) Yelling (please note that Mr. Farmer works until very very late at night so he hadn't been asleep too long) "Snake eating quail! Snake eating quail!" Yeah... What a wake up call right?!?! He rushes out kills said snake - no idea what it was, I didn't look- and now is moving Blondie, our last quail, a male, to a safe undisclosed location. Meaning Blondie is moving into the house. We got a total of 6 quail eggs from our covey... Before they 3 females were eaten. So, here's hoping today gets better...

Anyone near the GSO area have a few female quail that they are willing to sell?

help is very much appreciated!!!!!

Where are you located and what breeds of coturnix do you have? I would be interested in getting some from you.

Hi everyone.
I just got my first eggs today! Took six weeks and one day!

Woooot!

What is the desired weight/age for butchering coturnix quail? I have both white and the brown, I am assuming they are mixed.

New to quail. we have 4 breeding groups, some spare roos and a couple of young roos. We have a mixed group of quail. Each breeding group working toward specific colors. We built 4 breeding pens on top of our old 2 stage brooder. We have 70 eggs in a styrobator and have a little giant as hatcher. We want to have plenty of layers for infertile eggs and plan to have one more 50 bird hatch after these with 70 or more eggs in the styrobator.

today all my coturnix quail hens all have bloody heads and damaged eyes what are the quail doing

Sorry to hear, are they in a cage? and if so is the height of the cage over 18" ? if so they are prob popping up and hitting the roof. either put them in a cage that's shorter in height or you can put mattress foam inside attached to the top, that should stop them from hurting themselves.
Good luck!

today all my coturnix quail hens all have bloody heads and damaged eyes what are the quail doing

If you have all girls or too many boys they might be acting 'canabalistic' (?). A pic of your set-up with ratio of sexes might help the Quail veterans here to help you a bit better.
I would either find the culprit, if it is another quail, and remove them immediately, so that way you can treat the injured and allow them to try to heal in peace with quiet. If you don't know who or what is causing it then at least remove or separate all the injured to treat and heal in peace. JMO. Good luck and hope they recover quickly!

Last edited:
How high humidity at lock down is too high? Last time I hatched Coturnix eggs my humidity was 65% but then it jump to 75% I thought it was too high but my last egg died hatching because the membrane was all leathery.
I had to take the chicks out of the incubator right away because they were kicking the eggs all over and moving my temp gauge.
Is there any way to be able to take the other chicks out without wrecking it for the other eggs left to hatch?
Last time I got the humidity back up to 65% right away but the last egg still didn't make it.

Back
Top Bottom