2015 COTURNIX QUAIL THREAD!!!!!!

Chicks need 30% protein game bird starter, ideally. Adults, about 24% protein. Some people use turkey starter if they can't find anything else...non-medicated.

Based on your question, I'm wondering if you have chickens now? If so, keep them away from your chickens! Chickens carry diseases that do not affect the chicken, but is lethal to quail.

I am having trouble finding non medicated game bird starter feed. Where do you normally find yours? Everything around us only carries medicated... Why do you need to feed only non medicated?

I am having trouble finding non medicated game bird starter feed. Where do you normally find yours? Everything around us only carries medicated... Why do you need to feed only non medicated?

I have a local store that carries Purina and I was able to get them to order this (from their own supplier)
http://www.strombergschickens.com/product/Purina-Gamebird-Starter-30-Protein-50-Pound/Chicken-Feed

As to the non-medicated part, can't really answer that...just what I've heard. I guess because Cots start laying so early and it passes thru to the egg...? Maybe Fat Daddy or one of the other "experts" can chime in and explain that one?

I don't have any quail right now, but I've got 100 eggs coming in several weeks. I did tons and tons of research before ordering them....I've probably put in 100+ hours of research on here, learning as much as I could

I have a local store that carries Purina and I was able to get them to order this (from their own supplier)
http://www.strombergschickens.com/product/Purina-Gamebird-Starter-30-Protein-50-Pound/Chicken-Feed

As to the non-medicated part, can't really answer that...just what I've heard. I guess because Cots start laying so early and it passes thru to the egg...? Maybe Fat Daddy or one of the other "experts" can chime in and explain that one?

I don't have any quail right now, but I've got 100 eggs coming in several weeks. I did tons and tons of research before ordering them....I've probably put in 100+ hours of research on here, learning as much as I could

Here's a thread with Stellar and JJ putting in their 2 cents...both are experts on quail. Stellar wrote the book on Coturnix...literally

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/387023/what-will-happen-if-quail-chicks-eat-medicated-feed

Good luck!

Here's a thread with Stellar and JJ putting in their 2 cents...both are experts on quail. Stellar wrote the book on Coturnix...literally
!

There is a third man in this thread that is worth noting. Randall, He raised the same line of Georgia Giant bobs to huge levels and kept his next year breeders from this years stock for years.... He lived in Mississippi and never had access to "non medicated" game bird starter. So he used medicated. Never saw any issue fertility at all.... I have always respected what he and JJ have to say... So much so I still have both of their cell phone numbers in my phone and consider them friends. As for experts and writing books.... Anyone with a Google PHD and the willingness to "self publish" can write a book... This is how meal worms and thistle seed can become acceptable diet for quail....

There is a third man in this thread that is worth noting. Randall, He raised the same line of Georgia Giant bobs to huge levels and kept his next year breeders from this years stock for years.... He lived in Mississippi and never had access to "non medicated" game bird starter. So he used medicated. Never saw any issue fertility at all.... I have always respected what he and JJ have to say... So much so I still have both of their cell phone numbers in my phone and consider them friends. As for experts and writing books.... Anyone with a Google PHD and the willingness to "self publish" can write a book... This is how meal worms and thistle seed can become acceptable diet for quail....

Good to know, I'm not as familiar with Randall, but I trust your opinion!

Hi everyone...

I have Coturnix quail on day 17 and they are starting to rock n roll... and, these are my first quail (feel like a kid on Christmas eve). So, of course, this is the time that I notice that my Game Bird feed is only 24% protein! Can somebody please tell me my best course of action to add to the feed, to bump it up closer to that 30% range and w/o doing any real damage? Like smashed boiled egg...just in case they hatch tonight!? I cannot get to TSC before Friday. Grrr. :/
TIA.

ETA: I see pips! This is gonna be a long night. Read, run to 'bator. Read, run back to 'bator. (And) Repeat.... :/ :)

ahhhhhhhh one more weeeeek!!!!! I have 50 jumbo quail and 23 button quail in the incubator and every egg has veins or good movement in them :3 all shipped eggs too!

Just found this thread. @Fat Daddy is an amazing person to talk to about quail on this forum. I respect his op's very much. I keep a few cots, we have had them 3 years now and do love the eggs. DH smokes the birds and its pretty awesome. I have fried quail, BBQ'd etc.Jumbo brown (wild phase) coturnix are my preferred breed, the goldens are almost too pretty to eat. They are super easy to keep and hatch, but they will not brood eggs like a bobwhite.
My 80 year old mother decided she wanted to keep one hen as a pet, her name is Speckles, who is a golden. She just attached herself to my mom from a tiny chick.. So yep she is really spoiled. Big girl for a golden too! Mom likes her eggs, and on occasion Speckles gets a visitor..(I bring a fella in for visits about once a week) Speckles is over a pound in weight.( I am small, less than 5 feet tall so don't let the picture fool you lol.) I hatch all of her eggs I can, golden are rarely this big. When the fella visits, it my biggest Jumbo brown cock we have at the time.

Back
Top Bottom