2015 New York Chickenstock

After thinking over my options a little more, I would prefer one or both of the broody twins. I love my pure Cochin, but so far she's only gone broody 1x per year.
I'd prefer one that wants to raise out chicks at least 2x per year, and since they're obviously not daunted by going broody in the cold weather, the twins seem to be a good choice.
I'll definitely take one of the twins, possibly the 2nd one.
There was another person on here selling bantam Cochins, one of which has gone broody. So if I could get one of theirs also, then bakingintherain could have the other "twin".

All set on roosters, especially since I'll be getting some from the Cochin crosses I just hatched, and they'd be adorable to cross with yours, that is,
if the hens take a break from being broody long enough to lay eggs!

Any of the extra started pullets that I have I'll be bringing, so you could take your pick. Right now, they're not quite old enough to tell 100% who's female, but
by the time Chickenstock is here, it'll be hopefully easier to tell.
As for pretty, that's what I'm aiming towards in the Catskill Homesteaders; although I do usually keep the "pick of the litter", so to speak.

I also have a pure SFH - who might be a pullet, as it's a month old now & still has a small single comb. I'll now by Chickenstock, because its feathers will have grown in.
But, it's double-crested - therefore can't be used for breeding SFH. But, would make an adorable pet or very pretty egg layer!
I estimate the crest will be similar in size to a Polish, as it's already about the size of some of the adult single-crested SFH.
Because it's basically a "breeder cull" - it'd let it go for $10 (8 weeks old by then) or willing to trade for the bantam broodies. (reg $10 for a day-old pure SFH.)
If the SFH is a pullet I will take that trade. Just looked them up and they are so pretty!

Well, I FINALLY got an answer from my family and we're coming to Chickenstock!

For food - Taco Salad (made with Chicken, not beef)

What I'll be bringing, as long as I have enough available and room in the car:

6-8 Bielefelder Hatching Eggs - $7 per egg

1 + dozen of Swedish Flower Hen Hatching Eggs - - $5 per egg, $27 for 6 eggs or $48 for 12 eggs.

IF the Muscovy Ducks finally decided to start laying, I may bring some of their hatching eggs.
Otherwise, if all 6 females incubate clutches of 12 - 15 eggs each - I'd be overrun with ducklings!
But, no guarantees, as they're taking they're "sweet time".
Of course, they could have found a very good hiding place & I just haven't discovered yet their "stash".
smile.png

Catskill Homesteader Hatching Eggs - $1 per egg or $9 per dozen
(could be anywhere from 2 dozen to 6 dozen depending on interest & availability)

I have LOTS of Catskill Homesteader cockerels from this year's hatches, so may bring a few of the "prettiest ones".

Extra straight-run chicks of various ages, ranging in age from ones due to hatch around the 25th to several weeks old.
I may bring a few started pullets, depends on how many I have at the time vs the ones I'm keeping or are already reserved for local orders.
Prices start at $3, with 50 cents extra per week to cover cost of raising them.

I will be bringing Swedish Flower Hen chicks, as I have more hatching this week, a few under a broody hen due next week, and more due on the 25th.
$10 - up to 1 week old, + $1 per additional week of age.

I may have an extra Bielefelder pullet or more; depends on how this week's hatch goes & if the lady who wanted them ends up buying them or not.
None set for the Hatch on the 25th, as "needed" the room in the incubator for the Catskill Homesteaders.
Lots of cockerels, of various ages - rooster sire is a very handsome, gentle "giant", so I expect his sons to be the same.
Pullets - start at $25; Cockerels start at $15; + $1 per additional week, and most will be several weeks old by Chickenstock.

Oh - if anyone wants some adorable rabbits - they'll be 6.5 - 7 weeks old by Chickenstock. From meat rabbit parents, but would make great pets also!
I love their markings - there's also one that's a dark agouti. Haven't tried to tell who's male/female yet.

Here's a photo of them several weeks ago, right before they opened their eyes.
They're now eating pellets and hay, and are out of their nesting box.
So, by the end of May they should be or nearly weaned and ready to be on their own.

I'd love to get some of Nutty's feed, but I'm not sure if we'll have room in the car!
Even if we brought the truck, the savings in feed price wouldn't pay for the extra gas we'd be using, unless we bought a lot of feed!

what is a catskill homesteader ?

If the SFH is a pullet I will take that trade. Just looked them up and they are so pretty!

I thought I'd taken a photo the "other day", but it was actually May 2nd.
Here's the SFH - now has more feathers and grown since then.

Hatched 4-3-15

Rooster sire "Little Man" x crested SFH hen
(either one on the left or younger crested pullet from 2014)
"Blueberry" on the right is a Catskill Homesteader green egg layer

Thanks for posting the link.

Basically, this is my description:

The Catskill Homesteader Breeding Project Goal is to Produce
Locally Adapted Winter-hardy, Colorful "Eye-Candy" Chickens
Laying Various Shades of Green & Brown Eggs;
Dual Purpose, Active Foragers & Frequently Broody

They started out similar to Easter Eggers, but some of them don't have any EE in them at all.
With this year's chicks it seems like every hatch I get a different variety of colors.
There have been some "plain yellow" chicks that once feathered out, I was surprised at the different colors / feather pattern.
One of the blue/gold roosters produced a lot of black and dark blue chicks, probably because I happened to select the eggs
from one of the all-black hens. But, even some of them are getting pretty colors on their neck and chest.

Last year's chicks were all raised by broody hens, with the help of the incubator about 3 times.
Hatched April through October, but the majority of the chicks became breeders or meat.

This year, the first hatch was in early March, before any hen was ready to go broody.
I currently have two hens raising chicks, with two more sitting on eggs.

Also started a thread about the breeding project:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/975521/catskill-homesteader-breeding-project

I have chicks peeping in the hatcher, ready to be wing-banded and go in the brooder.
So, I better stop typing now!

Back
Top Bottom