2015 Pea Prices

KsKingBee

Free Ranging
10 Years
Sep 29, 2013
The Scenic Flint Hills of Kansas
Twice a year the Heart of America Gamebird Assn. holds two major auctions in Gardner Ks. near Kansas City. Last fall it was not well attended, but this spring was fairly large with nearly 1000 cages of birds being sold. Reports on the sales of peafowl were that they sold fast and at higher prices than normal. Early bidding was bringing $150 and higher for 2014 yearling hens and late in the day 2014 BS hens were still bringing as much as $210. One cage of 2014 White yearlings went for $160 x five birds, ($800.). There were no bargains to be had at this auction.

For those not familiar with the consignment requirements at this event, all cages are sold with the birds, NPIP testing is required, and all paperwork must be presented as well as any other state requirements crossing state lines.

Spring always seems to bring super high auction prices!

When you guys mentioned that $160 cage, I thought you meant the whole cage brought that! My bad! I do know sometimes birds toward the end go cheaply. I got a 3 year old India blue once for $20. You just never know.

Twice a year the Heart of America Gamebird Assn. holds two major auctions in Gardner Ks. near Kansas City. Last fall it was not well attended, but this spring was fairly large with nearly 1000 cages of birds being sold. Reports on the sales of peafowl were that they sold fast and at higher prices than normal. Early bidding was bringing $150 and higher for 2014 yearling hens and late in the day 2014 BS hens were still bringing as much as $210. One cage of 2014 White yearlings went for $160 x five birds, ($800.). There were no bargains to be had at this auction.

For those not familiar with the consignment requirements at this event, all cages are sold with the birds, NPIP testing is required, and all paperwork must be presented as well as any other state requirements crossing state lines.

When you guys mentioned that $160 cage, I thought you meant the whole cage brought that! My bad! I do know sometimes birds toward the end go cheaply. I got a 3 year old India blue once for $20. You just never know.

Prices are always higher around here in spring. When I list hatching eggs on Craigslist I get lots of calls from people who are looking to replace birds that did not survive the winter. I always ask them if they wormed their birds in the fall, and the answer is usually..." I had no idea they needed wormed?" Everybody that loses one from a pair is afraid the remaining one will wander off, or they just don't want to miss out on the breeding season.

Two years ago at the fall auction I picked up a nice yearling Pied for $45. at the end, there was nobody bidding by that time. You never know how it may go.

Prices are always higher around here in spring. When I list hatching eggs on Craigslist I get lots of calls from people who are looking to replace birds that did not survive the winter. I always ask them if they wormed their birds in the fall, and the answer is usually..." I had no idea they needed wormed?" Everybody that loses one from a pair is afraid the remaining one will wander off, or they just don't want to miss out on the breeding season.

I am getting no replies from Craigs list. Some of the FB sites are getting some action but mostly on chicks that haven't hatched yet.
idunno.gif

I am getting no replies from Craigs list. Some of the FB sites are getting some action but mostly on chicks that haven't hatched yet.
idunno.gif

I run an ad for hatching eggs and state that we will have chicks for sale later in the summer and older birds on occasion. I get a lot of responses and that is the only place I advertise. Everybody uses CL around here, maybe it's just a geographical thing. I just bought 2 really nice cages to brood in off CL, really happy with them, new and almost new, but eventually Id like some like these in the barn, we brood in the garage right now.
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/grd/4921811233.html

I bet your DH could weld you up some even better ones from what I have seen of his work.
bow.gif

I am wondering what everyone is selling their eggs and chicks for this year. I have had a few inquiries and not sure where to set the bar. I'm sure that the more common IB's will be less than colors, but by how much?

I think I'm gonna shoot for $4-$5 for eggs with a $20 minimum for the locals, but for my friends here on BYC, I'll gladly give them away as long as I don't have to pay for shipping. Chicks, if I hatch any, I'll ask $20, but if they don't sell I'll drop the price to $10 to get them gone.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom