2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

Pics
Hi I'm new to peafowl but have just sat 10 eggs under broodys!!!!!!!!!!! As said before any stories of positive experiences hatching peas under broodys would help.or tips. I really want these to hatch!!!!!!

Quackery,
I also want to warn you when the eggs are about to hatch, watch that momma hen very very closely or bring her in a pet carrier if possible.

For some reason I have read of many and have a few myself that right at hatch the hen rejects them a bit and they get pushed away from warm momma hen and perish, or worse pecked at. I think it's the fact that they make different sounds than a chicken chick.
Once the mommas feels what feels like a squirmy chick under her she accepts them most times, but I can't count how many times I have found newly hatched baby about 5 inches from mom. If I stick them back under her repeatedly that first couple hours, she is ok.

Also if with other birds make sure they are protected. I lost 3 this spring to a mean egg eater 3 days before hatch! Didn't realize I had a hen pecking eggs that were under another hen! Was a first for me and I was just going out to isolate her. :(

Ok that being said, broody hen is way to go every time! Better hatch rate and I like the fact mom shows them how to eat, etc.

Last edited:
Quackery,
I also want to warn you when the eggs are about to hatch, watch that momma hen very very closely or bring her in a pet carrier if possible.

For some reason I have read of many and have a few myself that right at hatch the hen rejects them a bit and they get pushed away from warm momma hen and perish, or worse pecked at. I think it's the fact that they make different sounds than a chicken chick.
Once the mommas feels what feels like a squirmy chick under her she accepts them most times, but I can't count how many times I have found newly hatched baby about 5 inches from mom. If I stick them back under her repeatedly that first couple hours, she is ok.

Also if with other birds make sure they are protected. I lost 3 this spring to a mean egg eater 3 days before hatch! Didn't realize I had a hen pecking eggs that were under another hen! Was a first for me and I was just going out to isolate her. :(
Ok that being said, broody hen is way to go every time! Better hatch rate and I like the fact mom shows them how to eat, etc.
OK, they are in there own nests with covered front and sides the chicks could only get a Max of 2 inches away from the hen and know other hens can acces there nests so should be alright. Also both hens have successfully hatched and reared ducklings, guine meets and pheasant poults they don't care what they hatch.

Last edited:
Okay... Started this batch with 16 eggs. 13 made it to lockdown, though I wasn't quite sure about two of them. As of right now, I have 7 in the brooder, 1 about to go the the brooder and three more externally pipped.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom