2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

Pics
Need some help from you all...my broody chicken hen has became a momma to 2 peachicks as of yesterday afternoon. the local peafowl lady told me that i must get some duramycin or terramycin (sp?) immediately and mix in their water or they will surely die. the feed store doesn't have either of these...i am familiar with corrid which I've used for our chicken chicks in the past...is this ok to give to the peachicks? these are our first peachicks and i don't want them to miss something important if it's a must. any help is appreciated. p.s. the chicks not showing any signs of illness...
They don't need those antibiotics in their water, but you might want to buy some fish-zole and Baytril just in case they do get sick. Would be best to have those on-hand.

Of course it's always good to have Corid.
big_smile.png
I'd also like to suggest that you get a kitchen scale and start tracking their weigh as weight loss or lack of gain if almost always a sign they are sick.

I don't want to scare you, but you should read up on blackhead (histomoniasis), it's a disease that doesn't usually affect chickens, but can be deadly to peafowl and turkeys.

-Kathy

Need some help from you all...my broody chicken hen has became a momma to 2 peachicks as of yesterday afternoon. the local peafowl lady told me that i must get some duramycin or terramycin (sp?) immediately and mix in their water or they will surely die. the feed store doesn't have either of these...i am familiar with corrid which I've used for our chicken chicks in the past...is this ok to give to the peachicks? these are our first peachicks and i don't want them to miss something important if it's a must. any help is appreciated. p.s. the chicks not showing any signs of illness...

Everything casportpony said. and this, we too have peachicks hatched and raised by chicken hens. they are free range and we have available to them regular old medicated chick feed. which someone can correct me if i'm wrong but I think it protects them from blackhead... so far so good. we got three chicks almost two weeks ago and they are doing wonderfully. now we have had no problems with black head ever. when I first got my chickens (6 years ago) I had not treated them for it, but when I got our peas three years ago I did. we have 5 adult peas who ran free with the chickens for two years(now penned cuz they wondered to far) but the chickens sometimes get in with them and they only thing separating them is chicken wire, they share a split coop.

if your chickens don't carry it great - you'd never know anyways - but just in case they do - i'd treat the whole flock. it won't hurt them. and if you're going to let the chicks be raised by them for a long time, get your chickens on a regular schedule. I believe blackhead can live in the ground for 7 years... so to keep your little ones safe, id treat the chickens that long. i'm no expert tho. I just know that at least so far its working for us. Good luck :)

Amprolium (Corid, Aprol, Ampromed, etc)
is the medication that's in most medicated feed and it does *not* prevent blackhead. Another medication commonly used in starters is bacitracin, but that won't prevent blackhead either.

Amprolium in feed is supposed to help prevent coccidiosis.
Bacitracin in feed is supposed to help prevent enteritis, but it's also used to promote growth.

-Kathy

Last edited:
The only way to prevent blackhead is to keep your birds level of parasites low along with stress. Most of the time birds will always have parasites but it takes that one parasite that proves too much and kills them. It's best to worm them. I use to never worm until I lost a Pied peahen. Ever since then I've been worming my peafowl. My tame peafowl I give Safeguard 1cc for 5 days then skip 2 weeks and worm another 5 days. I worm in the Spring when it's really spring and in the fall when it's really fall not the day it's suppose to be spring and fall.

I couldn't handle the stress of momma and babe wandering around. She had left the nest area. I spotted them in the flower bed then I had to go on a search. She was nestled on the ground along the woods. I snatched up babe and momma followed. I set up a large kennel in the garage and put the little one that hatched Sunday back with them.

The other chick was under her and looks to be IB. I didn't notice any white on it but I'll get picks when I weigh them tomorrow.

I missed these pictures earlier - so cute!
clap.gif

This is the sister or brother of poor little Alli, right?

Last edited:
I missed these pictures earlier - so cute! :clap  
This is the sister or brother of poor little Alli, right?

Thanks but no. There are 2 with her and they are from my pair. Little Alli was a egg I got from Louden Farm.

The one pictured is a BS and the other an IB but I think she's under momma in the pic.

I weighed them last night and the BS went from 59 g to 80 g. The IB was 55 g and now 66g. They hatched a few days a part.

Hopefully I get feedback soon! I have peachick hatching but pipped wrong side of egg. She is broke thru membrane and I can see beak and breathing. Will she do it on her own?

Hopefully I get feedback soon! I have peachick hatching but pipped wrong side of egg. She is broke thru membrane and I can see beak and breathing. Will she do it on her own?

I've not had that but have had them pip low and I helped. They were successful but it's tricky and you really need to do it only a little at a time. I've also read plenty where others experience was the chick hatched on its own. Tough call.

How long has it been pipped internally?

Back
Top Bottom