2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

Yeah I was doing that, but then I cut one and it bled out.

Have you tried holding the pea in one hand while twisting the shell in the other several times, wait just a bit, then cutting the cord as close to the shell as possible?

Take this with a grain of salt as I haven't hatched peas before (yet, lol), but what I found when incubating my Calls and turkeys is that the ones that hatch with navel/cord issues are usually the ones where the CAM never fully encloses inside the shell... the veining network that spreads from the embryo out... using on end turners is when I have found it doesn't finish enclosing properly more often as well... I switched over to using my Leahy, running it completely dry from set to hatch, and just rolling the eggs around a bit a few times a day and got the best hatch rates without major issues... it runs at 30 to 40% humidity...

Have you tried holding the pea in one hand while twisting the shell in the other several times, wait just a bit, then cutting the cord as close to the shell as possible?

Take this with a grain of salt as I haven't hatched peas before (yet, lol), but what I found when incubating my Calls and turkeys is that the ones that hatch with navel/cord issues are usually the ones where the CAM never fully encloses inside the shell... the veining network that spreads from the embryo out... using on end turners is when I have found it doesn't finish enclosing properly more often as well... I switched over to using my Leahy, running it completely dry from set to hatch, and just rolling the eggs around a bit a few times a day and got the best hatch rates without major issues... it runs at 30 to 40% humidity...

No salt need, I think you are on to something. You will find that peas are way harder to hatch than chickens and guineas, but your thought on the point down turner could very well be my problem. I have had a habit lately of waiting until they pip to transfer the eggs into the hatcher. I set my eggs on Wendesday and they tend to start pipping on Sunday night and take until Thursday for the last one to hatch out.

I am going to transfer the eggs to the hatcher on Saturday this week and see if that does make a difference. Thank you.

No salt need, I think you are on to something. You will find that peas are way harder to hatch than chickens and guineas, but your thought on the point down turner could very well be my problem. I have had a habit lately of waiting until they pip to transfer the eggs into the hatcher. I set my eggs on Wendesday and they tend to start pipping on Sunday night and take until Thursday for the last one to hatch out.

I am going to transfer the eggs to the hatcher on Saturday this week and see if that does make a difference. Thank you.

Very welcome, hope it helps... and I would not even think of comparing peas to chicken or guinea eggs, lol... I was thinking more like a combination of turkey and Call ducks... ;)

Check it out, @Birdrain92 : 2/3 that made it to lock-down hatched!!!!!!!
SoWTYjqdXWB5JgoA--2sMP2cdryWa9ZkK-pHQWZ0Ho6zYhOdpMAUakRWUft65tvhT4DrVr2PSTvZs26LDkB1G9chSAdJ99QPX6UB2Yan_PSN760zsBsbwVN3Ntn-PK5fo_9HEPNFvkNArfiSLlPqg-k3rsgUg7W3sRHHqqrkhdCMED7LvdSV2hd_oM5iqNH6GSfn4i_nvMTzreTKPUKsB1E8n1rfc_ofv8RN0RbPq5Vf3I-pWDdZGbCpE97ydC5sZEOvFMJ8msgTMvB7GYK_JVM-L0gF7Phrw7rg_8RZ4033Aqv2OMOSKThYFF-8HaJ-Gynu7b-9MQZo_xw-kj1n2E-5aTkmsC3z4-0f91d5EZnLpQga4AF75qinqFevdh65rvr7mO7tEyujjSRcvEnw1CVnQviF4qIoO8R94FR3xzRiQd5lIkiFOSQLzjcI91e28p1j35GIEOKETPbjLVTwbyCDD2YWd917rjgRguGJ6WsynXJAjbXzTvIWWSDZpc9pCiBhxtpc2nz_ocDoMR0NdXpSdoDczRd7fBHi_mxTtKYcfUPErHOb1B-YZT3lSEIRxlLO8wgw3N_5jDMmX1_P-jeER1qo9A9iuiUZ01esDx5QTm3C=w1074-h605-no

I may have gotten lucky and hatched a pair. One of my two is smaller than the other, and the larger one just started sprouting a tuft from its' head. Do peahens tend to be smaller even as chicks?

Back
Top Bottom