2015 United Peafowl Association Convention

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by MinxFox, Jun 3, 2015.

Are you comming to the UPA Convention?

Poll closed Sep 20, 2015.
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. connerhills

connerhills Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    French.... You don't have to join the UPA to go to their conventions. All total I have been to 13 or so of them. Augeredin I must have met you there as I was at that one also. Mr. Buckalew has the resources to do it well. Another one you will want to go to if he ever has it again is Don Maynard in Co. He knew how to put the finishing touches on things. good luck connerhills

2. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    George,Phil,,I have the UTMOST respect for the both of you.Talking on the phone with George or seeing what Phil posts on facebook makes both of you over the top, in my opinion so to speak. I know in every organization there are the "doers" and the " lookers". Those that only join to "belong" and those that tries to help and improve. I had ideas several years ago to help improve awareness about peafowl and brought it forward to the president. Then only to find out I had to be a member "in good standing" for a year before anything of value I could offer would even be considered.

Maybe my ideas wasn't worth merit? Maybe I didn't have the right number of peafowl to be considered a "resource" of knowledge? Maybe it was because of breeders I had spoken to,, instances of certain members being taken advantage of,,or possibly it was because of what I knew as truth about things being done around the by laws written to insure the proper procedure for getting things done for the organization.

Seems to me when an organization is somewhat "stagnant" and members do not participate theres a problem. Seems to me when someone wants to join,and try to make a positive impact and help better the organization a full years worth of waiting to be considered in "good standing" is somewhat nutts. What?? Every new member must go thru a background check thru NSA?? Jumping thru hoops to appease a few in order to possibly help so many? This is just a little of why at this time there is no need or value for me joining.

3. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Really!? So you heard about the convention going on in 2006 or 2007 and decided to check it out or what? That is a cool story I got started in 2009 when the owner of a bamboo garden told me about a lady selling zoo peafowl and I had been wanting peafowl since I was little.

Aww come on FBC you should join! I will agree that with the UPA, as with anything, you have people who won't really get involved and people who do get involved but often times you run into issues trying to get things done and make people see your ideas as something worth trying.

I don't know if you go to church or have been to church a bit, but even with church you have the same issues. Some people have wonderful ideas for service projects but get turned down, no one will volunteer for the project, etc. You have your people who understand the big picture and that we are there to praise God and then you have your complainers that get caught up in singing the 'right' songs and doing communion the 'right' way and they complain when people are moved to raise their hands and for some reason they get caught up in the little things that don't matter and have to make it difficult for those who are truly there to praise God and do good works.

Basically my point is even something such as church, which is founded on loving your neighbor, doing good to others, etc even that has its issues. I am not saying it is all bad, but it isn't perfect. It is my opinion that anytime you get a group of people together you will have issues - sooner or later.

So the UPA isn't perfect but no organization is. There are a lot of things that can be worked on and improved in the UPA and I think it is worth trying - the UPA has such good history it would be unfortunate to let it slip away, but it would also be unfortunate to not work on improving it. I do understand where you are coming from though I tried to help with something in the UPA - I won't say what but I did feel like my help was not wanted even when I thought I could really help contribute something and improve something. Hey if they don't want my help with certain things okay, but I am going to stick around and help if I can because while there might be issues, I still am very excited to be a part of the UPA like I was back when I first found out about it and saw the convention photos and started getting the magazines.

By the way, the UPA's Peafowl Today magazine would seriously benefit from people sending in articles and photos. Peafowl stories are okay, but I think people are looking for articles with more info in them such as genetics, pen building, hatching tips, worming peafowl, etc.

1 person likes this.
  4. I actually have never been a member until recently and I still have not received any notification that I am actually a member. I think the peafowl community is so small that it is a wonder that the UPA even exists. I would not doubt that there are definitely some strong willed people involved and quite I am certain I would probably disagree with some stuff but I respect the effort made by the folks that keep it going. I should have joined years ago though. I regret I did not given what some of the members have done for me and for what the peafowl have done for our farm.

Yes, Alea our peafowl story truly began at the last convention at Rocking BAB. We had just started the farm (it technically was not a farm at the time just a house with acreage, although it was planted in pines) and did not know what to do. We had some chickens but we wanted to do something with animals. For those that don't know it, I have a zoology background and at one time raised and sold reptiles in a big way. My wife would not let me get back in reptiles so I was looking for something else to get into. Early in the convention year we went to Seaworld's Discovery Cove. In their aviary they had peacocks. We spent some time talking to a keeper and decided to find out more. It just so happened when we got back that we saw an add for the convention and signed up and went to the tour of Rocking BAB and the rest is history. There is a little more to the story that allowed us to jump in with both feet right away but thats how we started.

We are going to expand beyond peafowl over the next couple of years and move into pheasants, duck, pidgeons and doves. All of the people we have met in the last 7-8 years have been truly amazing in their own way. I continue to be surprised by the people that keep birds that most of us know nothing about. There is a gentleman named Elton Housely that lives no more than 15 minutes from my farm that I had known about but had never visited. In fact, I thought he was getting out of peafowl. Earlier this year I did vista him and I have regretted every day since that I didi not call him previously. There is no doubt in my mind that he raises as many or more green birds than anyone else around. Not only that but he has one of the biggest collections of other birds around. While on my visit, I heard a very distinctive tropical type call from somewhere on the property. I could not quite place it but I recognized it as something different. Later in the tour he walked me into an aviary that was probably 40-60 and asked me what I thought. The aviary was heavily planted and about the time he got the words out of his mouth a mature Argus Pheasant bowed up and displayed right in front of me. Thats the holy grail of pheasants. I them realized that ALL of the surrounding pens were Argus pairs. All just 15 minutes up the road from me.

5. ....and for those that don't know it, Rocking BAB is 20 minutes in the other direction from me. Dr Buckalew, the owner, and Josh Nelson, the manager, are some of the nicest, most down to earth, honest folks you will ever meet.

6. frenchblackcopper

frenchblackcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    East central Illinois
    Minx,,I've been a member of FFA,,Boy Scouts,Jaycees,Car Clubs,,,ect and all had purpose. In every organization certain members has strengths and weaknesses. So if you know a particular subject very well and your knowledge will help others it shouldn't take a group decision,,act of god,,or pass a "clickie" set of members votes when they themselves don't have the ambition to do it,or try anything like it. Looking a gift horse in the face and saying no is about as easy as it gets. I don't like to sit on the sidelines. If I cannot better or help the club or organization it's a waste of time to me to simply be a paying member only to get a magazine each month. I have enough peas here all photobook worthy when it comes to pictures. I was buying peacock eggs,, hatching them and raising them before I knew of UPA's existance. I'm not dependent on them to raise peafowl,,,but they as an organization ARE DEPENDENT on membership.

7. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Wow you got to go to Discovery Cove!? I have been wanting to go see their aviary, and see Animal Kingdom like you said you did when we were talking yesterday. I love visiting zoos and seeing how the landscape things and make things out of fake rock. Speaking of fake rock have you seen this topic: http://www.gbwf.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9213&p=16333#p16333

I wish you a lot of luck expanding your collection beyond peafowl. I can't wait for you to build a big aviary I will send you some stuff I have been collecting that might help give you more ideas. I still need to visit Elton and now that I am less busy I should definitely try going.

Okay fair enough...But if you do ever join and want to be the UPA president to change some of those issues you have noticed, you have my vote.[​IMG]

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    That is cool, i will be making my trip there at the end of this month , so mabe you can come over and we can meet each other [​IMG], i am hoping Alea can make it also.[​IMG]

9. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Yeah that would be great! I don't know if I will still get American Green chicks from Josh since I now have the imperator, but I am still definitely going to try and come. After using the washer on a string method I think this peachick is a male, so eventually I will need to find a female Imperator. I was talking to Josh a little today saying I don't think I will get green chicks from him after all since I got the imperator. I mentioned that I read he was hosting the convention, and he said they aren't exactly hosting it. He said that the last time they hosted it there was just so much work they had to do and organizing everything that he told the UPA that they would 'host' another convention if the UPA agreed to have others organize a lot of the activities. Sounds like a nice deal to me I am sure organizing everything can be a lot of work!

So while the convention will be visiting the Rocking BAB and getting a tour, he doesn't have to worry about organizing everything else.

If anyone going wants to swing buy to visit my peas they can but the rule is you have to pet Peep and tell him he is beautiful. [​IMG]

10. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    UPDATE

Price - $50.00
    Hello everyone yesterday I paid for the convention. Yesterday it was difficult to find out where to pay for the convetion on the site, but now it looks like it is easier to find. To make it easy for you all I will give you the link: http://unitedpeafowlassociation.org/2015Convention-Plans.html
    - Just scroll down a little and to the right you will see a yellow "Pay Now" button so that you can pay using paypal.
    - Other payment options are sending a check to the UPA president or as long as you notify the UPA that you will be attending you may pay at the door.

Sea Spray Condos
    The UPA will be staying at Sea Spray Condos but you can certainly stay elsewhere. There will be a group discount of 10% and perhaps 15% even if 10 or more rooms are reserved. The price starts at $122.00 a night without any discounts. The condo is right in front of the Gulf of Mexico so I would advise you all to bring swimwear of course you can always pick up a new swimsuit at one of the many beach shops.

UPA Auction
    Tonight I just finished up some art that I will be donating to the UPA Auction. If you cannot attend you can still donate an item to the UPA auction, or you can even bid over the phone for an item! So consider both options! I already have my eye on some flip flops with a peacock feather print on them that the UPA facebook page has in one of their auction item photos.

EXTREMELY Special Guest Speaker!!!
    A little birdy, or should I say peahen, has notified me that our very own @AugeredIn (Phil Phillips) will be one of the speakers at the convention!!! I can't wait to hear him speak as I can tell you all from meeting him he knows a lot about peafowl and he knows a lot about animals in general so I am certain he will give a wonderful talk.

Final Note
    I know not all of you like the UPA for various reasons, but please if you can come do. I was talking with the UPA Vice President Danny Potente and he thinks this is going to be a really great convention. This is an exciting event that only happens once a year and this is the first time it has been close enough for me to attend. You never know when a UPA convention will be close enough for you to make it, so I recommend going whenever it is close enough to you even if you are not really into the UPA if you are into peafowl it will be a very unique opportunity to get together with others who share the same interest and who have a lot to share about the methods that they have found useful. Many people speak of getting wonderful ideas from the UPA conventions. Even large peafowl breeders learn a thing or two from these gatherings. I understand if you cannot make it as I am sure Florida is too far away for many of you, so I will try to document the convention through photos and possibly video.

Convention Date: September 17th - 19th

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by