2016 Poultry Plans?

My plans for next year, is to expand my Pekin breeding projects. Right now i am working on creating my own Mille Fleur Pekins with my Mottle rooster, Columbian Pekin hen and my Buff Pekin. Going alright at the moment to! I love having a mix-breed flock of chickens so my wish list for next year is:
1x Speckled Sussex
2x Silkies (Always have wanted these, never know my be a Chrissy pressie to myself
tongue.png
)
1x Barnevelder (Dads always wanted one)
1x Splash Orpington (they look so fluffy)
1x Plymouth Rock (Would love to have some of these)
1x Gloden Laced Wyandote (to match my silver one)
1x Polish (did have one but turned out to be a rooster)
1x Whie Columbian Pekin
1x Cuckoo Pekin
1x Silver Penciled Pekin

What is your wishlist for next year?

My plans for next year, is to expand my Pekin breeding projects. Right now i am working on creating my own Mille Fleur Pekins with my Mottle rooster, Columbian Pekin hen and my Buff Pekin. Going alright at the moment to! I love having a mix-breed flock of chickens so my wish list for next year is:
1x Speckled Sussex
2x Silkies (Always have wanted these, never know my be a Chrissy pressie to myself
tongue.png
)
1x Barnevelder (Dads always wanted one)
1x Splash Orpington (they look so fluffy)
1x Plymouth Rock (Would love to have some of these)
1x Gloden Laced Wyandote (to match my silver one)
1x Polish (did have one but turned out to be a rooster)
1x Whie Columbian Pekin
1x Cuckoo Pekin
1x Silver Penciled Pekin

What is your wishlist for next year?

Good luck with your breeding project and getting the other birds on your list.

I have 2 SS in my mixed flock and they are such sweet birds. Very pretty too (although 1 is badly molting right now and is a terrible mess, lol). I also have 3 Barred Plymouth Rocks...funny, for the longest time (since they were tiny chicks), they were kind of standoffish, but lately they have decided to be friendlier. Maybe they're just slow figuring out who feeds them.
big_smile.png

If I were going to add more chickens, I'd like a Barnevelder too. And anything splash is pretty to me.

I vote for getting yourself a Christmas present and pick up a couple of silkies!

Hi Michael, is there any breed in particular you'd like to try that you haven't already?
I'm considering the possibility of getting some Salmon Faverolles. I've never personally had them, but a good friend and former neighbor of mine has them and they are a wonderful breed; calm and gentle (his kids made lap pets of them), beautiful, and good layers of brown eggs. At some point I might even consider trying to get some Icelandics. Based on everything I've read about them, they must be the hardiest chickens on earth and they are excellent layers.

I'm considering the possibility of getting some Salmon Faverolles. I've never personally had them, but a good friend and former neighbor of mine has them and they are a wonderful breed; calm and gentle (his kids made lap pets of them), beautiful, and good layers of brown eggs. At some point I might even consider trying to get some Icelandics. Based on everything I've read about them, they must be the hardiest chickens on earth and they are excellent layers.

I would think your climate would be good for Icelandics. Have you started looking for people around MT who raise birds that you might be able to buy from?

I would think your climate would be good for Icelandics. Have you started looking for people around MT who raise birds that you might be able to buy from?
Certainly our cold winters would not be a problem for Icelandics, but they evidently handle heat with no problems as well. The Sandhill Preservation Center has the following comments about the hardiness of Icelandics:

"An unbelievably hardy land race. . . . They are superb layers of small to medium sized off-white eggs. Knowing Iceland's moderate maritime climate and that this breed had developed there for over a thousand years, I was fearful they would not handle the extremes of Iowa weather very well. I was first pleasantly surprised in the Winter when they handled -25 deg. F with ease. Then on that horrible July day with a heat index of 133 deg. F, I was afraid that when I reached their pen I would find them all dead. I was pleasantly surprised to see none dead even though there were massive losses in adjoining pens."

As far as I know, there are no breeders of Icelandics in Montana. Even if they are available at the time, to get some, I would have to have them shipped quite a distance and they would be quite expensive.

Back
Top Bottom