Poultry/Fowl Raising Simplicity Easiest to Hardest?

GlicksChicks

Songster
Apr 11, 2024
I am planning on having a variety of different poultry/fowl and I want to work up from the simplest to the more complicated species. At the moment I only have chickens. I want to go one species at a time and get those established and feel like I have a grip on their care and then start with another breed.

I think ducks will be next because I have read that ducks would be the next in line for simplicity.

If you were to order from simplest to hardest poultry/fowl, how would your list go? I would like to know what order I should get the species in to keep things as chaos-free as possible.

Chickens are fairly easy as long as they aren't crowded. Ducks are easy if you don't keep too many drakes and don't mind the mess.

Turkeys can be harder to get started and need extra care initially, but once grown are fairly easy to keep. They are best kept separately.

Geese are easy to raise and easier to feed as they prefer eating grass. They can be noisy and messy and are best given plenty of pasture.

We have raised pheasants. They are flighty and nervous and never really calm down.

I'm not familiar with the keeping of other birds likes quail, doves, pigeon, or emu.

Chickens are fairly easy as long as they aren't crowded. Ducks are easy if you don't keep too many drakes and don't mind the mess.

Turkeys can be harder to get started and need extra care initially, but once grown are fairly easy to keep. They are best kept separately.

Geese are easy to raise and easier to feed as they prefer eating grass. They can be noisy and messy and are best given plenty of pasture.

We have raised pheasants. They are flighty and nervous and never really calm down.

I'm not familiar with the keeping of other birds likes quail, doves, pigeon, or emu.
Thank you for all of this information!

Quail can be hard as chicks. My biggest issues were the flushing (they'll just straight up kill themselves hitting the roof of a pen too hard) and how savage they can be. I had so many scalp or be scalped my first year, and the only thing that fixed it was getting rid of bullies and victims

Quail can be hard as chicks. My biggest issues were the flushing (they'll just straight up kill themselves hitting the roof of a pen too hard) and how savage they can be. I had so many scalp or be scalped my first year, and the only thing that fixed it was getting rid of bullies and victims
Oh wow, I have never heard of the scalping part. I don't know if I want to work with something as small as quail. I am looking more toward chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, guineas, etc.

I plan on having a large aviary area for all these breeds, which is why I am even considering guineas.

Back
Top Bottom