2017 Groundhog Day Hatch-a-long!

yeah, of course, though keep in mind i am no expert
to me you are ;) and thank you wv has been helping me along with some duck issues and i know she is super busy with her own chicks right now so i didnt want to bother her to much but i have this egg that pipped on the wrong side the night before last and shes just not making any progress the other duck that hatch had been picking at her shell and so i move her into a basket so he couldnt get to her

Where the other duck has picked her shell is super hard i have been trying to keep it moist but its just not helping. I just need to know if i should be worried yet or just wait a while longer..

Last edited:
i think it looks ok, you can also use cocnut oil or vaseline on the membrane but it looks good for now
ducks take FOREVER to get from pip to zip, like 36 hours in some cases
barnie.gif

how long has it been pipped?
it pipped sometime the night of the 14th i went to roll my eggs early the next morning and found she had done made a good external pip in the wrong end of the shell which freaked me out lol they werent even due to go on lockdown until today :( and one of the pekins already hatched yesterday day they are early birds lol

Last edited:
it pipped sometime the night of the 14th i went to roll my eggs early the next morning and found she had done made a good external pip in the wrong end of the shell which feeaked me out lol they werent even due to go on lockdown until today
sad.png
and one of the pekins already hatched yesterday day thwy are early bird lol
how many eggs are left?

is the other pekin pipped?

you could try candling the one in question to see if the yolk sack is absorbed, and if it is you could zip it, but leave it in the egg to see if it can push itself out
yes the other is pipped and i have tried to candle her but her little shell is so black i can't see anything even the inner membrane that i can see some of is black lol shes a tough one:confused:

Back
Top Bottom