** 2017 New Drug Law - What Are Your Plans? **

Blooie, to my knowledge, it only affects antibiotics.  There was a recent discussion re: whether this included Amprolium.  It seemed that even though Amprolium is not listed as an antibiotic, one over zealous TSC store, and perhaps others in that region did pull medicated chick starter.  Things like Nutri-Drench and other vitamin based products should not be affected.  I'm wondering if Corid is on the "pull" list.  

Corid is *not* on the pull list.

-Kathy

I don't really think I'll do anything... I believe that nutrition, environment, etc will work better than meds. Plus, garlic has more potency than a shot of penicillin
thumbsup.gif
So that's what I give.

Here is a bunch of info I've collected:

I read that as "the ionophores (Rumensin, Bovatec, Catalyst), the bambermycins (Gainpro), bacitracin (BMD, Baciferm), and tiamulin (Denegard)" still available, but all other water and feed antibiotics will require a VFD or prescription. All injectables antibiotics, amprolium, and wormers (with the exception of hygromycin B) not affected.

Let me know if I got that wrong.

-Kathy

Quote:

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/dont_wait_be_ready_new_antibiotic_rules_for_2017

Are all antibiotics affected?

It is important to note not all antibiotics will be considered VFD drugs (Figure 1). The use of injectable antibiotics will not be affected. At this time, FDA has only moved antibiotics essential to human medicine and being fed to animals to VFD status. Also, as a part of the new FDA changes, water soluble antibiotics, which are important to human medicine, will now require a prescription from a veterinarian. This transition of water soluble drugs will include Aureomycin
00ae.png
Water Soluble Concentrate (Chlortetracycline).

Figure 1. Present listing of in and on feed antibiotics outside of VFD directive.*
Carbadox Ractopamine
Bambermycin Melengestrol
Ionophores (i.e. lasalocid and monensin) Decoquinate
Tiamulin Fenbendazole
Bacitracin Amprolium
*Unless used in combination with a VFD drug.

Check out these TSC links:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/pfizer-animal-health-liquamycin-la-200-100-ml
no comment on needing rx

but the powder says this: "As of January 1, 2017 this item will no longer be carried by Tractor Supply Company due to updated FDA regulations surrounding Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) drugs. For more information, please click here: http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/ucm071807.htm"
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/oxytetracycline-soluble-powder-6-2-5-oz

-Kathy

Good discussion! There's no substitute for practicing good biosecurity and husbandry, rather than the 'shotgun' antibiotic uses targeted by these new (and overdue) regs. I do wish that there were good approved products to treat intestinal worms in poultry! That gets back to the problems with blackhead in turkeys and peafowl, very hard to manage in some areas. Also, I'm going to mention production practices in some other countries; rampant antibiotic overuse occurs 'over there' too. I've been both lucky and VERY careful, and avoided Marek's, mycoplasma, and other nasty flock issues, for over twenty years. May it continue!!! I will treat injuries, but not 'failure to thrive' type issues. Mary

Good discussion! There's no substitute for practicing good biosecurity and husbandry, rather than the 'shotgun' antibiotic uses targeted by these new (and overdue) regs. I do wish that there were good approved products to treat intestinal worms in poultry! That gets back to the problems with blackhead in turkeys and peafowl, very hard to manage in some areas. Also, I'm going to mention production practices in some other countries; rampant antibiotic overuse occurs 'over there' too. I've been both lucky and VERY careful, and avoided Marek's, mycoplasma, and other nasty flock issues, for over twenty years. May it continue!!! I will treat injuries, but not 'failure to thrive' type issues. Mary
We have so many earthworms here that after a decent amount of rain you can actually hear them in the soil. One could say " just cover your aviaries with concrete, sand, base rock, rubber mats, whatever", but that will not stop the worms. Blackhead is a serious concern for many peafowl and turkey owners that live in Santa Clara County, San Benito County, and Monterey County, and the four avian vets I have consulted with all prescribe the same three drugs, and two of those are banned for use in poultry.
idunno.gif

-Kathy

Minor species are defined as animals other than cattle, horses, swine, chickens, turkeys, dogs, and cats.

Extralabel use of medicated feed is not legally permitted and can result in FDA taking enforcement action against the parties involved. However, there are some minor species that cannot practically be medicated in any way other than by using medicated feed. Because of the need to have therapeutic options available for treatment of minor species, and to help ensure animal safety and human food safety, FDA issued the CPG to provide guidance to FDA staff about factors to consider when determining whether to take enforcement action against a veterinarian, animal producer, feed manufacturer, and/or feed distributor for the extralabel use of medicated feeds in minor species. Under the CPG, when there are no approved treatment options available, the health of animals is threatened, and failure to treat affected animals would result in suffering or death, the extralabel use of medicated feeds may be considered for treatment of minor species as long as the conditions and procedures described in the CPG are followed.

We have so many earthworms here that after a decent amount of rain you can actually hear them in the soil. One could say " just cover your aviaries with concrete, sand, base rock, rubber mats, whatever", but that will not stop the worms. Blackhead is a serious concern for many peafowl and turkey owners that live in Santa Clara County, San Benito County, and Monterey County, and the four avian vets I have consulted with all prescribe the same three drugs, and two of those are banned for use in poultry.
idunno.gif

-Kathy

I'll venture to ask why folks in that county persist in raising species there that do not thrive well in that area? Just because they can doesn't always mean they should, is one old wise adage. If they can't raise a certain breed or species in a certain area without the use of drugs, it's a logical decision to just move along to a breed or species that actually thrives in their area instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. If absolutely needing to raise something there, it would also seem logical to breed for resistance instead of propping up faulty genetics.

I think this new law just may bring that idea to a head....if a person/company can't raise animals where they live without medicating them, stop raising animals at all, or start raising animals that they can breed for resistance to whatever seems to be the problem. It's definitely a game changer.

Back
Top Bottom