** 2017 New Drug Law - What Are Your Plans? **

So while at TSC today I wanted to see what drugs were available, and what were not.

No longer being sold at my TSC are:
  • Corid Powder
  • Medicated chick starter
  • medicated goat feed

WTH?

Clearly someone at TSC doesn't understand the new law.
he.gif
idunno.gif

Still available:

And yes, they are confused... Corid, and feed medicated with amprolium are not on the list, because amprolium is not an antibiotic.

But no water soluble antibiotics, right?

And yes, they are confused... Corid, and feed medicated with amprolium are not on the list, because amprolium is not an antibiotic.

Well, did you explain it to the manager?

I didn't have the energy,. :(  

I'm not sure. But it said they won't sell it after the new year and they still had one lol

And aww well you should call cause that's not right and I'm sure they'll be happy for more profits lol

I don't have the energy to fight that battle. Tried once before when they pointed to product on their shelf and insisted it was a poultry de-wormer, which it was not. :(

Oh wow :/

Well maybe have someone else tell them lol they can't be selling or not selling the wrong things aha

As a cattlemen by trade and newbie chicken keeper by hobby, I believe ya'll are missing a big part of the changes. Namely, the antibiotics that are now RX only are the water soluble varieties and varieties considered "medically important" to humans that are fed in animal feed. In other words, the ones meant to be dissolved in water, or fed to animals in their feed that are also used in humans. At this time, injectables that were over the counter are still available over the counter. I believe all the drugs in the picture above are injectable.

If you have an established relationship with an ag vet getting the drugs you need, even without a visit to their office, shouldn't be an issue. As to the never used them crowd, there are different ways of doing anything and the beauty of running your own birds is you can handle them as you see fit.

Things like medicate feed, medicated milk replacer for cattle, etc. should be gone now. If you want to get medicated feed made at a mill, you would have to have a VFD from a vet. If you want to buy water soluble antibiotics you need a RX, which pretty much means the only people that will carry them anymore are vets because feed stores aren't set up to verify prescriptions.

But if you could buy it over the counter injectable before, you still can.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom