2018 Newbie Chat!

Pics
Went out to lock up the youngsters are growing they where so cute when I came aroun the corner and saw them perched in the door way. No camera though.... I did pop back in and grab it before I moved the meaties tractor. Growing so fast! They are getting moved twice a day now and mowing quite nicely in just 6 hours!

Attachments

• 509C4B3C-73E6-492F-9720-D6041633F24C.jpeg
    509C4B3C-73E6-492F-9720-D6041633F24C.jpeg
    637.4 KB · Views: 5
Hello everyone I’m not new persay I used to raise chickens a few years back and am now trying to get back into it so I guess wish me luck and if anyone needs info let me know
Hi! :frow
Welcome! We still love to hear from everyone: whether new or starting again after a hiatus.
Are you starting with chicks? How many do you have?
What breeds?
I really enjoy seeing everybody’ chicks grow up and all the updates and pictures.
It’s so much fun to have a smaller group share their experiences together on a thread like this.
I’m glad you found us!

Just as a way to introduce myself:
I currently have 4 adult hens (3 Silver Laced Wyandottes & 1 red sex link).
I’m actually giving my friend my Wyandottes soon because she loves them and I find them to be bullies.

I also have 9 “teenage” chicks that are 3 months old.
I have 5 Naked Neck/Turkens:
Three are cockerels (Conan, Loki & Angus) and two are pullets (Agatha & Emily).
4 of my babies are bantams:
One partridge Silkie pullet (named Silkie ;))
Three bantam Cochins, a mottled cockerel named Frodo, a buff pullet named Pippin, and a red pullet named Cricket.

And last but not least I have 12 chicks on order from Meyer hatchery coming in July in on two separate dates:
July 9th & July 16th.
My goal is to have 1 flock of around 18 large birds and 1 flock of about 7 bantams.
I’d like to keep my 3 NN cockerels and hopefully 5 girls each will be enough for them but we’ll see how it goes.

I currently have no chickens I may be adopting a rooster soon but as of yet haven’t found any chickens nearby for sale and chicks might be a tad late in the season I also haven’t rehabbed the hatchery yet so it’s not safe for them in there

Finally made it through this thread, yay!!

Joining as a sort-of newbie. I've kept chickens in the past, but it's been about 10 years. My kids have been begging for chickens ever since we moved here, but it's a small town with a livestock ban, so I've been reluctant.

It's a bit of a joke really, I'm on city council, no one really cares, plus there is no way to enforce it. The ban stems from a family that kept all sorts of animals in and around the parsonage they were in and it destroyed the house. Small town politics.

The chicken idea came from another council member and neighbor, who offered my daughter chickens HIS daughter was leaving behind when she moved, long story short, it didn't work out, his daughter sold the chickens and my daughter wouldn't let it go.

SO, I came home from our family vacation with 13 silver laced cochin chicks I impulsively bought at the livestock auction I attended. My parents were good enough to put up with them for a few days until we made the trip home.
IMG_20180619_112139.jpg

Aren't they cute?

IMG_20180625_192042.jpg

They are now three weeks old, I need a new picture.

The plan is to keep no more than 5 of these babies. Ideally 4 hens and a roo.

Plus I have some new ones coming from Meyers July 9 hatch. I decided I needed variety and went a little overboard. We shall see how the summer goes. I've ordered 5 mystery, 3 blue copper marans, 1 white Cochin( my daughter begged for a white bird), and 2 salmon faverolles. Fingers crossed they make it safe. I do not trust the postal service out here, and I am the post office for this town.

We currently have our babies in a pre-fab coop while I work on the real coop, and we are putting up a large fence at the same time. Might go quicker if it would cool back down. Heat + humidity is making it slow going.
I plan to use the tsc coop for babies, hospital, quarantine, and bunny on occasion. Our bunny, Shadow, likes hanging out with the chicks for a few hours every day. He likes getting outdoors and they all get along.
IMG_20180625_191957.jpg

Love seeing all the chick pics! I'll get some updated ones of mine tomorrow for sure
Jenn

Finally made it through this thread, yay!!

Joining as a sort-of newbie. I've kept chickens in the past, but it's been about 10 years. My kids have been begging for chickens ever since we moved here, but it's a small town with a livestock ban, so I've been reluctant.

It's a bit of a joke really, I'm on city council, no one really cares, plus there is no way to enforce it. The ban stems from a family that kept all sorts of animals in and around the parsonage they were in and it destroyed the house. Small town politics.

The chicken idea came from another council member and neighbor, who offered my daughter chickens HIS daughter was leaving behind when she moved, long story short, it didn't work out, his daughter sold the chickens and my daughter wouldn't let it go.

SO, I came home from our family vacation with 13 silver laced cochin chicks I impulsively bought at the livestock auction I attended. My parents were good enough to put up with them for a few days until we made the trip home.
View attachment 1448987
Aren't they cute?

View attachment 1448988
They are now three weeks old, I need a new picture.

The plan is to keep no more than 5 of these babies. Ideally 4 hens and a roo.

Plus I have some new ones coming from Meyers July 9 hatch. I decided I needed variety and went a little overboard. We shall see how the summer goes. I've ordered 5 mystery, 3 blue copper marans, 1 white Cochin( my daughter begged for a white bird), and 2 salmon faverolles. Fingers crossed they make it safe. I do not trust the postal service out here, and I am the post office for this town.

We currently have our babies in a pre-fab coop while I work on the real coop, and we are putting up a large fence at the same time. Might go quicker if it would cool back down. Heat + humidity is making it slow going.
I plan to use the tsc coop for babies, hospital, quarantine, and bunny on occasion. Our bunny, Shadow, likes hanging out with the chicks for a few hours every day. He likes getting outdoors and they all get along. View attachment 1448994

Love seeing all the chick pics! I'll get some updated ones of mine tomorrow for sure
Jenn
Welcome! We’re glad you’re here.
Those Cochin chicks are adorable!
I love Cochins. I have a mottled bantam cockerel named Frodo.
I’m also getting chicks from Meyer on July 9th.
I’m getting 6 on that date and another 6 a week later on July 16th.
I think there’s another member on this thread getting Meyer chicks in July.
Yay! :ya
We’ll all be able to share them growing together! :clap

Whew! Another heat wave. This is very unusual for Wisconsin. Usually we have maybe one string of hot hot days like this over the summer

I put the sprinkler in the run for a little cold water fountain. Walking around in that nice chilly hose water really makes them look more comfortable.
Tomorrow will be the worst of the heat. I'm going to get a watermelon and get it nice and cold in the fridge for them. And for me. ;)

So far Moana is still the only one laying. It is definitely her, I've interrupted her in the nest box twice today now. Plus her second egg was very dark and speckly- definitely welsummer.
Everyone else is not far behind though! Waiting on some colored eggs :)

IMG_20180629_102609.jpg

Back
Top Bottom