1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

2018 Valentine's day mail-a-long

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rubysword, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Rubysword

Rubysword Crowing

Apr 19, 2017
    USMA, NY
    Hey all! I'm getting ten chicks from Meyer hatchery next Tuesday. I'm super excited!!!Just wanted to share this with all the chick-less peeps out there, and I'm also looking for tips. Here's what I think is going to happen:
    My mom drives me to the post office to pick the chicks up. I check inside the box to make sure they're all there and healthy, dipping their beaks in the lukewarm sugar water I brought. They will then go back into the box for the ride home in a warm car. When we get home, they will be transferred to the cardboard box brooder with a mama heating pad which will have been set up on Saturday. It will have a nipple waterer, and a dish waterer until they all figure the nipple waterer out. I'm still trying to figure out whether to use a trough feeder or the quart jar type. Any comments or tips?

2. JenLivingLife

JenLivingLife In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2017
    I've got 25 arriving tomorrow. This will be my first batch of chicks. I started last summer with a dozen full grown chickens and a rooster. I don't think you need to do the water part at the post office (unless you maybe live far away). All my research indicates introducing them to water when unpacking them and placing them in their new home is normally how it's done. I went with a trough feeder because they happened to be on sale at my supply store but I don't think it matters much.
    I'm looking forward to everyone's else's input. And can't wait to see pictures of your new batch.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Hi, My chicks were shipped from Meyer today! :wee

I hope they will arrive well, but past shipments (due to my route & delays, not Meyers).. have arrived with casualties every single time, sometimes heavy. :(

I wouldn't personally open the box on the way home and only check at the PO if it's required by the hatchery, I'd be more likely to accidentally get them wet and lets be real 7 or 8 minutes isn't likely the difference between life and death. Otherwise by the amount of peeping going on is a pretty good indicator of vitality.

I also would make it a brown sugar water with electrolytes. Many homemade recipes are available and very simple. If you access to any liquid vitamins or poultry nutri drench... makes a HUGE difference added to the water.

2 cups warm water, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon EACH salt and baking soda. Add the vitamins if you have any and serve full strength.

I usually switch to plain water after that runs out. And I will do a direct drip of liquid vitamins to the beak of any chick that looks like they may fail. Shipping can be hard.

I also might crush the crumbles a little more at first, especially if bantam breeds. And don't forget to check and clear pasty butt if it exists. Not to confused with a naval, sometimes left behind.

Anyways, those are my best tips for success beyond your original plan. :pop

Hope they arrive LOUD and healthy! :jumpy:jumpy:fl

4. Rubysword

Rubysword Crowing

Apr 19, 2017
    USMA, NY
    Here's the list of chicks:
    4 Buff Orpingtons, 2 for us, 2 for a teacher
    2 Barred rocks for the teacher
    2 black australorps for us
    2 salmon faverolles for us
    1 easter egger for us
    2 silver laced wyandottes for the teacher
    2 buff brahmas

Ok, I'll wait till I get home then. Thanks for reminding me to check for pasty butt!

5. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read more Premium Member Project Manager

Congrats Ruby!
    Are these going to be your first chicks?

6. Rubysword

Rubysword Crowing

Apr 19, 2017
    USMA, NY
    No, we've had chicks before. We've had incredibly bad luck(ranging from bear attacks to genetic diseases) but we're hoping things will be better this time around, now that we know more!

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road 5 Years

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    What ES4L said. Don't open the box till you get it home, and the brooder should be allready set up with tepid water, Pick up a bottle of Poultry Nutri-Drench. Save your money. Don't waste it on the electrolyte packets.

8. Feather Hearts

Feather Hearts Crowing

Oct 4, 2016
    Northland, New Zealand
    Post pics when you get the babies! Also congrats!

beckychick and Rubysword like this.
  9. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read more Premium Member Project Manager

Do you have older birds now?
    Keep an eye out for signs of Coccidiosis too.

21hens-incharge likes this.
  10. Rubysword

Rubysword Crowing

Apr 19, 2017
    USMA, NY
    We have four pullets who will be a year old in March. We've already had some bouts with cocci(3 birds died) so I'll definitely keep my eyes open!

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: