2019 Emu Hatch-A-Long

It can be totally normal
Is there anything known that I can do to test for signs of life? They definitely are keeping their heat still at one end, though I imagine a liquid would if there was an area of gas at the other end by comparison, but they don't seem to wiggle when I whistle whilst leaving them out for 5-10 minutes. I'm going to try later on another surface and place some pens on top to test for more slight wiggling but I don't really know what more to do - I haven't purchased anything for "if they hatch" yet as there's been so little in the way of evidence of life :/

Is there anything known that I can do to test for signs of life? They definitely are keeping their heat still at one end, though I imagine a liquid would if there was an area of gas at the other end by comparison, but they don't seem to wiggle when I whistle whilst leaving them out for 5-10 minutes. I'm going to try later on another surface and place some pens on top to test for more slight wiggling but I don't really know what more to do - I haven't purchased anything for "if they hatch" yet as there's been so little in the way of evidence of life :/

Wiggling is really your only definite sign of life. If they sound like porcelain when you tap them, then they are duds as the membrane has separated from the shell.

Wiggling is really your only definite sign of life. If they sound like porcelain when you tap them, then they are duds as the membrane has separated from the shell.
Ok. I'm gonna attempt to get some grower ratite feed (any brand recommendations would be amazing, must be available for UK though) and an infrared heater lamp.

Seems like an egg moved a little overnight, same one as has wobbled before, about 4am it decided to roll a little to one side. Day 48 now so could begin pipping anytime now potentially!

Found this Ostrich grower feed that's available in the UK, does it look any good for emus? Obviously I'd be mixing in fruit & veg appropriately, but my options are pretty limited it seems as most ratite feeds don't ship to the UK. Any help greatly appreciated!

Seems like an egg moved a little overnight, same one as has wobbled before, about 4am it decided to roll a little to one side. Day 48 now so could begin pipping anytime now potentially!

Found this Ostrich grower feed that's available in the UK, does it look any good for emus? Obviously I'd be mixing in fruit & veg appropriately, but my options are pretty limited it seems as most ratite feeds don't ship to the UK. Any help greatly appreciated!

Yeah the ostrich feed should work as the stuff we use is for all ratites and they have similar needs.

So the one that seems to have moved a fair bit has gone very "porcelain" upon tapping the shell, is this a sign of potential hatching soon or a bad sign? No internal pipping seems to have occurred yet. I could just have been completely wrong and the movement is coincidence or whatever, but I'm hoping beyond all hope not!

Any info. would be greatly received, as ever!

So the one that seems to have moved a fair bit has gone very "porcelain" upon tapping the shell, is this a sign of potential hatching soon or a bad sign? No internal pipping seems to have occurred yet. I could just have been completely wrong and the movement is coincidence or whatever, but I'm hoping beyond all hope not!

Any info. would be greatly received, as ever!

Sounds like it has drawn down - that happens right before they internally pip :)

Sounds like it has drawn down - that happens right before they internally pip :)
I thought I'd read this somewhere! So now a couple of little questions:

How long should I leave them in the incubator after the chick is out of the egg completely?

How long does hatching tend to take?

What's the normal length of time between pipping and hatching also?

This is so exciting!

I thought I'd read this somewhere! So now a couple of little questions:

How long should I leave them in the incubator after the chick is out of the egg completely?

How long does hatching tend to take?

What's the normal length of time between pipping and hatching also?

This is so exciting!

I leave mine in the incubator for 12 hours. From pip to hatch varies but mine averaged about 8 hours. Some of yours may take longer to hatch after the first ones hatch so give them time before throwing out.

Back
Top Bottom