2019 Emu Hatch-A-Long

Would there be much movement as it breaks through the membrane by chance? Or is it quite a natural process that doesn't involve much rolling around?

Well 24 hours has made a big difference. Day 51, 72 hours after signs popping was just around the corner and nothing. I've gone from having real hope and almost expecting a hatch any second to expecting nothing now pretty much. No sounds, no movement, no pip. Off to work now but seems to me its very unlikely I'll get a hatch at this point. Let me know if I'm right or wrong @Pyxis et al

Note: I'll be incubating the eggs for another week or so, so theres still a chance, I'm more relating to the whole fact that the porcelain sound inferring pipping coming soon has yet to happen 3 days after it started, seems a long time to me

Last edited:
Yeah, I believe 1 of the 2 remaining is a dud so 4/5 dud and one possibly going just before hatch by a matter of hours

Is there anything I can do? I feel like there may have been a tiny bit of movement a couple of days ago but over time gradually as opposed to suddenly. I know cracking the shell and helping it open in the very marginal chance its alive will probably result in it dying, but I dont know at what point "its over" per say. I take it 4 days is too long for it to be drawn down from the shell though to have it still be alive? I've got the tiniest shred of hope left that I might get back from work and find something but that's it now, even though it's literally just hit hatch day, day 52. I take it that we are probably over the hill of hope now though.

Last edited:
Yeah, I believe 1 of the 2 remaining is a dud so 4/5 dud and one possibly going just before hatch by a matter of hours

Is there anything I can do? I feel like there may have been a tiny bit of movement a couple of days ago but over time gradually as opposed to suddenly. I know cracking the shell and helping it open in the very marginal chance its alive will probably result in it dying, but I dont know at what point "its over" per say. I take it 4 days is too long for it to be drawn down from the shell though to have it still be alive? I've got the tiniest shred of hope left that I might get back from work and find something but that's it now, even though it's literally just hit hatch day, day 52. I take it that we are probably over the hill of hope now though.

At this point, you can wait just to be safe but I think it’s probably done. You can take a chunk of shell of the aircell end just big enough to see in there and see if you can see or hear life in there. The smaller the hole you make, the better.

I
At this point, you can wait just to be safe but I think it’s probably done. You can take a chunk of shell of the aircell end just big enough to see in there and see if you can see or hear life in there. The smaller the hole you make, the better.

I'll try find the smallest drill bit I can that's enough to get through it with by hand. Would I see movement if it was alive still?

So I cracked a little open and it seemed the membrane was still full of liquid so I opened it up and sure enough there was a tiny bit of pink in there, perhaps the size of a jelly bean, nothing else.

EDIT:
Nothing in the only one that remained either. Time to turn off the incubator :(

Last edited:
So I cracked a little open and it seemed the membrane was still full of liquid so I opened it up and sure enough there was a tiny bit of pink in there, perhaps the size of a jelly bean, nothing else.

EDIT:
Nothing in the only one that remained either. Time to turn off the incubator :(
Bummer! :(

Back
Top Bottom