2019 Newbie Chat!

My incubation didn’t go so well and only 2 of 12 hatched. One chick got stuck and had a rough start with splayed leg issues. They’re both doing great now!

Attachments

• 03FDFC47-2DC3-44D6-BD93-7DF409AD66EA.jpeg
    03FDFC47-2DC3-44D6-BD93-7DF409AD66EA.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 4AF7A529-49E8-413D-AAB7-FC709CCF7A2A.jpeg
    4AF7A529-49E8-413D-AAB7-FC709CCF7A2A.jpeg
    539.5 KB · Views: 1
I have questions - prior to getting our chicks, I did a lot of reading. Everything from Chickens for Dummies to others written by homesteaders and a backyard chicken lady. Everyone has different opinions, which makes it difficult for someone like me - who has real experience - to figure out. In this case, I’m wondering about sand for their dustbath. What do I use? I read in one book that even food grade DE is horrible for them, and in the next, it’s fabulous. Some places say to just get play sand, others say to mix it with other stuff....what do I do? I have zero “sense” of what the right thing to do is because these are our first chicks ever. We’re just winging it!

They’re afraid of us, unfortunately. They have an entire bedroom to themselves and their brooder - I have to keep them in a room upstairs because of our cats and dog. The dog loves them TOO much - he’s a Maltese Shih-tzu (malshie) and he thinks he’s a herder, which is...different. LOL The cats, well...I don’t trust them. Love my animals, but I also know they’ve got natural instincts that I don’t necessarily know or trust. So anyway, I’m not around them all the time. I wish I could be, but it’s just not possible at the moment. I worry that I didn’t bond with them, but I have definitely tried to be a good mama.

I bought grit for them and put it out as a free choice. Either they’ve knocked it over, or they’re eating it like it is the yummiest thing they’ve ever had. I bought the grit because, in an attempt to win them over, I bought them mealworms as a treat. I hold out my hand, they eye it VERY suspiciously (which makes me laugh - my chickens are super side-eyed judgy!!) I’ve also put clumps of grass and dirt in their brooder too. They eyed it suspiciously at first, until I left the room. I came back a bit later and they’d clearly had a field day with it! :) Of course, when I read some books and articles, they say we shouldn’t feed treats at all, and that they don’t need grit until they move into the coop...yet here it seems like everyone gets on the treat bandwagon early, even bringing dirt and grass into the house. One of the books I have totally frowns on that. What is the right way? In that case, I went with MY instinct. If I wasn’t around and the chicks were with mama hen, she’d be taking them outside every day. I hope I’m right!

I have questions - prior to getting our chicks, I did a lot of reading. Everything from Chickens for Dummies to others written by homesteaders and a backyard chicken lady. Everyone has different opinions, which makes it difficult for someone like me - who has real experience - to figure out. In this case, I’m wondering about sand for their dustbath. What do I use? I read in one book that even food grade DE is horrible for them, and in the next, it’s fabulous. Some places say to just get play sand, others say to mix it with other stuff....what do I do? I have zero “sense” of what the right thing to do is because these are our first chicks ever. We’re just winging it!

They’re afraid of us, unfortunately. They have an entire bedroom to themselves and their brooder - I have to keep them in a room upstairs because of our cats and dog. The dog loves them TOO much - he’s a Maltese Shih-tzu (malshie) and he thinks he’s a herder, which is...different. LOL The cats, well...I don’t trust them. Love my animals, but I also know they’ve got natural instincts that I don’t necessarily know or trust. So anyway, I’m not around them all the time. I wish I could be, but it’s just not possible at the moment. I worry that I didn’t bond with them, but I have definitely tried to be a good mama.

I bought grit for them and put it out as a free choice. Either they’ve knocked it over, or they’re eating it like it is the yummiest thing they’ve ever had. I bought the grit because, in an attempt to win them over, I bought them mealworms as a treat. I hold out my hand, they eye it VERY suspiciously (which makes me laugh - my chickens are super side-eyed judgy!!) I’ve also put clumps of grass and dirt in their brooder too. They eyed it suspiciously at first, until I left the room. I came back a bit later and they’d clearly had a field day with it! :) Of course, when I read some books and articles, they say we shouldn’t feed treats at all, and that they don’t need grit until they move into the coop...yet here it seems like everyone gets on the treat bandwagon early, even bringing dirt and grass into the house. One of the books I have totally frowns on that. What is the right way? In that case, I went with MY instinct. If I wasn’t around and the chicks were with mama hen, she’d be taking them outside every day. I hope I’m right!
Your choices have been good ones :)
Personally, I used a mixture of sand, dirt and DE in my sandbath. I've found my chickens much prefer plain dirt (I still sprinkle with DE when dry).

Hi!! Total newbie to chickens. I raised ducks last year and now get to add chickens this year. Setting up the brooder today and tomorrow. Hoping to pick up chicks tomorrow or Wednesday. I can't wait! We'll be getting more ducks next month. Made the mistake of telling my 8 year old that we're getting them (we've been badgering my hubby for a few years to get them) and she keeps asking "can we get them now!?" It's hard to keep her in check when I myself am super impatient about it.

New member just this week. My babies are about 3 weeks old & growing like weeds! Eating like it's their job, lol! Have 7 purchased at Tractor Supply. They seem to prefer cooler end of the brooder already. Temp under heat lamp is now mid 80's (F) Should I turn lamp off overnight to get them used to a normal daylight schedule? Checked them during the night & several we're still awake.

Back
Top Bottom