2019 Newbie Chat!

Pics
I’ve been here for not quite a year doing lots of research on how to do things right. I have my plan for a cool all set to go, just need some agreeable weather to get it done! Now I’m looking into how to do a brooder box. Lots of great ideas on here!

I don’t think I can get away with having them inside. If I did, it would have to be something sturdy enough to keep the dog from getting nosy. I’m thinking having them out in the attached garage is the way to go. I figure having a heat lamp inside a well protected box of some kind will do them quite well.

Planning on purchasing chicks at the TSC here in a week or two. I’m hoping that when they are ready to go from brooder box to coop, the temps are okay. Here in central Illinois, you really have no idea what you’re in for from week to week.

Made a couple cardboard cutouts to cover the top of the brooder heat plate. So they can poop on it all they want and I can easily either scrape it off, or just toss it completely.

LuvFKzV.jpg

Going to post this in my coop build thread as well, but here are the first stages of my 20 gallon waste free feeder. Using four.....4 inch 90 degree elbows.

oE3v4M8.jpg

Drilled half inch hole with drill bit, then used jig saw to go widen holes to 4 inches.

0UcPhlV.jpg

HsrqLSK.jpg

As you can see, the holes were not perfectly round! Haha. But that is ok. All the tubes took a little bit of squeezing to get in, so nothing is super loose. Just larger versus smaller gaps in certain spots.

Gaps are not an issue because.....drum roll...I used expanding foam insulation instead of the classically recommended caulk or silicone. Check out this beauty. Haha. :eek::oops:

cp12KO5.jpg

gep0E5c.jpg
PCYl5K8.jpg
oIUTtB3.jpg

The random stuff in there is to hold the tubes in the correct position off the floor of the tub until the foam hardens. As anyone knows who uses the cans of foam, you can't really save any leftovers unless you want to use some solvents to clean out the tube before it sets up. So I just used all the extra from the can to link all the tubes together within the tub. I figure this will give it some stability inside and not allow any of the tubes to move much due to being linked to the one next to it. Since it is all inside the tub, I am not worried about it degrading due to UV exposure or anything.

After it is all cured overnight, I will trim or sand down all the foam on the outside so that it is flush with the tub. Or at least flat and less attractive for pecking. Will the chickens peck at it? Maybe? Time will tell.

Also pondering creating a false wall inside the tub so that there is not feed sitting and getting old/stale on the "far" side where there are no feeding tubes. Feels like it would be a waste of the tub shape, but I plan to have this feeder along a wall, so it does not make sense to have feeder tubes all the way around the tub.

Last edited:
I made this introduction post almost a year ago: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mine-will-be-the-most-spoiled-of-all-the-chickens.1230235/

And have since designed a beautiful coop (see my profile photo) and am expecting a chick delivery the week of March 11th.

We've ordered 3 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Speckled Sussex, and 2 Black Jersey Giants. We only have room to keep 4-5 so will be looking to re-home a few after they've grown up a bit.

Our brooder is set up in the basement guest room - I'm using an old dog kennel that I've put cardboard around the sides and we have a large panel heater.

I really can't wait!!

I think I posted this earlier in the thread, but since the time is approaching, figure I will post again. My 25 are shipping next week! Assuming arrival sometime Wednesday to Friday? We will see! I am at a conference in DC from now until Sunday, so at least I am distracted a bit. But then again.....here I am on BYC in the middle of the conference! Sorry boss (if you are reading this). :oops::caf

I am getting my first chicks in a month. I’m so excited. I really want to grow fodder. I’m looking for the best place to get barley seeds. Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated!

Azure Standard has organic animal feed grade barley for like $21 for a 45lb bag. Shipping varies depending on if you use a carrier or have it shipped to a drop in your area. There is a minimum order fee/small order fee though, both for you and your drop site.

2019 Newbie Here! My first chicks ever hatched 2/19/19 and arrived here 2/21/19 thanks to a super amazing local postal worker. 3 Speckled Sussex (2f, 1m), 3 Welsummers (2f, 1m) 1f Buff Orpington, 1f New Hampshire Red, 1f Gold Laced Wyandotte, 1f Australorp and 1 Australorp (hatchery bonus, unsure of gender). Unfortunately we've had 2 losses. One Sussex or Welsummer Friday evening and either the buff or the New Hampshire this afternoon. Also became a duck mom 2/16/19 when my kids just had to have 2 runner ducks from our local Rural King. And I have 6 more chicks arriving from Rural King this week. 2F Sapphire Gems, 2F Prairie Bluebell Eggers, and 2SR Lavender Orpingtons

Attachments

• 52608915_2217437795251030_6528371129101320192_n.jpg
    52608915_2217437795251030_6528371129101320192_n.jpg
    449 KB · Views: 4
  • 52595898_2665753373650968_7058349542009208832_n.jpg
    52595898_2665753373650968_7058349542009208832_n.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 3
I’ve been here for not quite a year doing lots of research on how to do things right. I have my plan for a cool all set to go, just need some agreeable weather to get it done! Now I’m looking into how to do a brooder box. Lots of great ideas on here!

I don’t think I can get away with having them inside. If I did, it would have to be something sturdy enough to keep the dog from getting nosy. I’m thinking having them out in the attached garage is the way to go. I figure having a heat lamp inside a well protected box of some kind will do them quite well.

Planning on purchasing chicks at the TSC here in a week or two. I’m hoping that when they are ready to go from brooder box to coop, the temps are okay. Here in central Illinois, you really have no idea what you’re in for from week to week.
Central Illinois here too. This weather has been crazy. I have my ducks out in the shed with a ceramic reptile heat lamp and the chicks are going to be going out soon with their mama heating pad. I'm so ready for spring. We need to get the run set, the garden fenced and set, and the garden ready. It just sucks because my husband has a collection of junk/crap from work out where the run/garden area is going and everything is too wet, muddy, and sometimes frozen to do anything.

Back
Top Bottom