2020 Flock Life

Which came first: the chicken or the egg?

• Chicken

Votes: 90 54.2%
  • Egg

Votes: 55 33.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 21 12.7%

• Total voters
Pics
Very cold outside today. Our chicken coop is too small for the number of chickens we have so I’m planning on cleaning out the duck shed and putting a few chickens in there to give them more space.
627F12FC-E782-494D-9297-6DD04737F7C6.jpeg

Very cold outside today. Our chicken coop is too small for the number of chickens we have so I’m planning on cleaning out the duck shed and putting a few chickens in there to give them more space.
View attachment 2067045

I’m also going to see if I can use one of our old coops but the door for them to get in might be too small for them to get through 😂
I have enough space for them all, I’m just trying to give them a bit more space in the coop. Im only moving 3 hens and a rooster for now.

I’m also going to see if I can use one of our old coops but the door for them to get in might be too small for them to get through 😂
I have enough space for them all, I’m just trying to give them a bit more space in the coop. Im only moving 3 hens and a rooster for now.

You’ll just have to squeeze them through the doors on a night! 😂

Our only Brahma Pimp always has to go onto the highest roost on a night 🙄

She knows she can’t get down on a morning because she’s too big so she waits on the roost to be lifted off. She sits and protests if we take to long to go and get her...

:lau
I had to do that with our adult Brahmas too until the younger ones started using the top roost.

Our RIR hen will push the other hens off just to get onto the top roost. 😂

I got our 15 egg incubator off amazon last year for €50 and it works great. Good luck finding one! 😊

Nice! Which one did you get? I'm having a hard time choosing brand, I'm thinking nurture right 360, but I can't find it cheaper than $140. :hmm And since I'm scared of getting another low Hatcher I'm trying to stay away from used. .... choosing an incubator shouldn't be this hard... :gig :lau

No pics today, but hubs and boys have got all the holes dug for the runs! Yay!! :yesss::celebrate we're still discussing access doors and where they'll be, but we're getting some where!

We let Paninni and Swirl out into their stall area and kept the large ones away as that will be their stall anyways. Toasted was curious but he backed off when I told him to for now.
Swirl is definitely wearing the fuzzy pants in that relationship 😂 :gig it's hilarious watching them.

20200327_144057.jpg

Silkies + Squeezy Update:
So the nine silkie eggs that I put in the incubator last week have been doing well. Six are growing and doing great! Two I am unsure, the air sac looks like it is growing but I cant see much going on and the last egg I threw out because it was infertile. They are due to hatch on the 11th, 13th & 14th April so get ready to be bombarded with chick photos! 😂 Squeezy still hasn't gone broody eventhough there are now 11 eggs in the nest box! You would dhave thought that at least on of the Silkies would have gone broody even if Squeezy wasn't. Hay ho, you can only keep trying!

20200329_114350.jpg
20200329_114344.jpg
20200328_154010.jpg

Two Week Old LF Chick Update:
Well the four LF chicks that hatched two weeks ago are now HUGE! The three babies that come from my ex battery hens and Calude the cockerel have almost got a full set of feathers! Frances only has her wing feathers at the moment but she comes from a different family. The have been enjoying the great outdoors and have had regular meet and greets with the adult birds in hopes they will get used to each other so NO fighting will occur! I am still of the opinion they are all girls but the four brown ones are starting to get noticable combs so I am not sure. Hopefully it is just the commercial hen in them that is making them grow fast!

FB_IMG_1585421859980.jpg
FB_IMG_1585421862967.jpg
20200330_095632.jpg

Free Range Bantam Update:
Dave (yes I know) the hen has hatched two chicks three days ago and they are safe away from the neighbouring farm cats in one of the old guinea-pig hutches. The rest of the family came and had a visit yesterday to check up on what was happening! When I say these are free range I mean they are free range! I dont lock them up at night, they could leave if they wanted to but they dont because they know they are safe where they are and get fed lots! They roost in the haystack barn so they are away from predators. I do not interfere with them so they are all related and descendants from my original two that I let roam free. It is actually very interesting to see how different their behaviour is compared to the other chickens. They also seem to live a lot longer and lay until they are very old! Anyway back to the two chicks, I haven't given them names yet, will wait and see what colours/sex they are before they are named!

Back
Top Bottom