2020 Flock Life

Which came first: the chicken or the egg?

• Chicken

Votes: 90 54.2%
  • Egg

Votes: 55 33.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 21 12.7%

• Total voters
Hey everyone! I just noticed the chicks picking at the new feathers of one particular chick. they have made it bleed! Any way to stop this without separation? Poor baby!

Blu kote to mask the bleeding, also they might be a little bored or stressed I'd put some chick grit scattered into shavings for them to find, or get a Babycakes. It's feed,seeds,and molasses ground up and put on a stand so the chicks can peck at it instead of each other. I need to do that for the littles in the barn, they started to pick at each other a bit.

Blu kote to mask the bleeding, also they might be a little bored or stressed I'd put some chick grit scattered into shavings for them to find, or get a Babycakes. It's feed,seeds,and molasses ground up and put on a stand so the chicks can peck at it instead of each other. I need to do that for the littles in the barn, they started to pick at each other a bit.
Thank you so much! I added a mirror and that's helped a bit! I will scatter some feed for them and see if I have something I can make babycakes out of! It might just be chick crumbles and molasses, hopefully I can find something else to add to it! They're kind of making me crazy today...lol

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I added a mirror and that's helped a bit! I will scatter so feed for them and see if I have something I can make babycakes out of! It might just be chick crumbles and molasses, hopefully I can find something else to add to it! They're kind of making me crazy today...lol

Perfect! As they get feathering in they always seem more flighty and scared of everything, but remember everything is new to them... They'll start to calm down again as they experience different things. :) Hang in there!!

Perfect! As they get feathering in they always seem more flighty and scared of everything, but remember everything is new to them... They'll start to calm down again as they experience different things. :) Hang in there!!
Thank you for your encouraging words, it has made me feel so much better! 💞 I really want a nice calm flock of chickens, which they mostly were until yesterday...lol! They will do better when we can move them into the larger space in the coop! I just don't know if it will happen tonight. I live an hour from any feed store, so I need to try and figure out DIY products from home! I thought about hanging some cabbage with string to also keep them occupied! I might also bring in some sod! But there's only so much room in their brooder! I don't have any chick grit, but I do have lots of sand, I've heard that works just fine!

The garden is finally starting to come back to life.
View attachment 2070204

View attachment 2070203

The chickens are loving the shed. :D
I did a bit of painting today.

View attachment 2070216

View attachment 2070215

Painting BBQ next @MysticUniKitty 😊
Your garden looks mighty alive with all the living creatures running about! Looks so nice! I don’t know how you can keep such a beautiful place with all those birds! I know what my gals did to their yard... there is nothing left! And I absolutely love your bunny!!!

Here are some pics.. maybe you’d like to try painting one of these...
4C72E880-CB2B-4CAB-B792-799AE0C19B22.jpeg
A60C02C5-56BF-455C-A856-985C3818B55D.jpeg
687A4936-8AEB-463E-8EB0-0F675A5B6C06.jpeg
AF0E6D92-DE30-43CE-8289-340687240819.jpeg

Thank you for your encouraging words, it has made me feel so much better! 💞 I really want a nice calm flock of chickens, which they mostly were until yesterday...lol! They will do better when we can move them into the larger space in the coop! I just don't know if it will happen tonight. I live an hour from any feed store, so I need to try and figure out DIY products from home! I thought about hanging some cabbage with string to also keep them occupied! I might also bring in some sod! But there's only so much room in their brooder! I don't have any chick grit, but I do have lots of sand, I've heard that works just fine!

I'm so glad it helped!

Did and sand is a great idea! Totally understand the feed store distance thing, we're about a half-hour to 45 mins. Having plenty to discover will help their fast-paced minds... And hopefully they'll chill enough until the nice large coop is ready :)

Back
Top Bottom