2021:1st Chicken Hatch

I find some of my blue eggs light up as easily as white/cream eggs and others are as hard to candle (if not harder) than my darkest browns. With the darker blues I can eventually can make out the air cell as it expands and try and use that as a guide but for the most part they are a wait and see.

Good luck with your hatch!

I had 4 or 5 blue eggs & yes this one was just impossible..the others were like candeling white eggs. I figured I’d perhaps see something day 7 candling. Thank you for the help.
Try a candler on one end of the egg and a phone or other LED flashlight on the other end, in a very dark room like a closet. May require an extra set of hands. I can see even in the darkest eggs this way. Agree blue eggs can be as hard to see in as the dark brown ones. Good luck! 😊
Thank you. The room I was in was basically a closet. Next time I’ll get my husband to help with it if I still can’t see anything.

Question: have you guys had issues keeping temp consistent in your incubator?

I’m really not feeling hopeful with this hatch as the temp fluctuates a degree & sometimes more... I have the thermometer that’s built in, & 2 inside the incubator. All show fluctuations of the same degrees.

Well I candle tonight on day 6.

ALOT of the eggs looked like this:
110E0F67-E210-4639-B5AF-BABED7539A5E.jpeg 7291D4DF-4519-44ED-857F-EB8679CE77B7.jpeg 3C107F61-0CB8-45F9-8BCC-C4B13952AB3F.jpeg
Are these early quitters?

Then I had this one...I’m assuming it’s a blood ring. 6BFA8335-3D6C-4CA2-8545-5C06EC327DFF.jpeg

I haven’t tossed any eggs just yet....waiting for confirmation on what I’m seeing. I also am getting an actual proper light.

Out if all the 24 eggs I could only confirm 2 actually had veining. Then there were 5 I really couldn’t see in or it was really hard at least.

ALOT of the eggs looked like this:

Are these early quitters?

I'm not that good at candling, but I found it helpful to candle some not-incubated eggs for comparison. If I just grab eggs from the fridge, I KNOW they have no chicks inside.

When I had some eggs I thought might not be fertile, I gave them a few extra days and candled again. Then I cracked one into a bowl and looked at it--with no shell, I could easily see that there was no development at all. I cracked each egg and looked inside before discarding them. If I had found a chick, it would have been too late for that chick, but I would have been able to put the other eggs back under the hen to continue incubating. In my case, all the eggs were infertile, but I did not have enough experience to trust what I thought I was seeing. (My eggs had been incubated for about 10 days by the time I cracked one, and it did NOT stink. I cooked the cracked eggs and fed them to the chickens, because they looked & smelled fine.)

So if no-one is able to tell from your photos, you could crack one of the probably-not-developing eggs and see what's really inside.

Update: Day 14

Only 4 eggs remain. 1 I just can’t see into at all so I have no idea what’s happening in it. The other 3 are dark but I’m not seeing any movement.

All the others were either infertile or early quitters.

I have a feeling I’ll be lucky if I even get 1 to hatch. This was just my incubator trouble shooting hatch sooo needless to say I didn’t expect much anyway.

Update: Day 20/21

Boy was I surprised at 2:00am this morning when I went to go tend to my daughter.

I opened my bedroom door to hear some LOUD cheeping. I literally uttered “Holy S*** Balls” (as previously mentioned I was not holding out much hope for any babies from this batch) as I walked over to the incubator to find a whole baby chick laying there! I let it be & went back to bed hoping it would coax the other egg into hatching.

This morning I got a better look. The one that hatched was from a powder blue egg. The chick looks crested so I’m pretty positive it was the Crested Cream Legbar/blue laced Wyandotte.

The last egg left is green so it’s the EE/Blue Laced Wyandotte & it is pipped through the shell but I don’t hear or see it wiggling. I’ll give it another 24hrs & keep an eye on it. Technically the Chick that hatched is early as day 21 doesn’t start until 7:00pm tonight.

I’ll add pictures once everyone is dry & fluffy!

Well only ended up with 1 chick. I opened the other egg this morning as I realized there actually was no pip. It didn’t even internally pip. Looks like it does before it even got into position.

Attachments

• 9424B8E3-776A-4EC1-85FE-E4522CA9901C.jpeg
    9424B8E3-776A-4EC1-85FE-E4522CA9901C.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 4
Oh no! It’s so discouraging when things like that happen. Like I said previously I wasn’t even really expecting 1. It came as a shock & kinda gave me hope for the second egg. Silly me lol

Things happen sometimes, especially when conditions are a little off. I had the first duckling from a batch of shipped eggs last year that internally pipped, externally pipped, and then killed itself by turning and blocking its pip instead of zipping. 🤷🏼‍♀️
As you said, this was your troubleshooting hatch so now you know the areas you need to stabilize. :) I’m glad you got one little peep out of it anyways. do you have any way to obtain a friend or 2 for it? :)

Back
Top Bottom