2021:1st Chicken Hatch

Kholts

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 11, 2019
Canada
Got a new Incubator. A little Giant with the egg turner: not my 1st choice but there is not a whole lot readily available in my area.

I decided to do a hatch test with chicken eggs before I start my duck eggs. I am currently still waiting for my ducks to start laying again & then I’ll have to wait until I know they are fertilized soooo I’m months out yet.

The eggs I got are full of colors.
CCC6BE55-77E1-40B0-9D65-37483B4B8850.jpeg
The hens are crested cream legbar, ameraucana, sapphire and icbar. Roo is a laced Wyandotte. I am super interested to see what colors of chicks I get & how many lol.

My incubator has been running for a couple days with the turner. I also calibrated my thermometer & hygrometer that’s inside. I’ll be candeling to mark air cells & check for imperfections tonight & setting them.

Wish me luck!

I’ll update on day 7 with progress pictures!

:woot Welcome to the world of hatching! I should warn you though, it is very addicting and once you start you can never stop. This is where chicken multiplication comes in :lol:

Anyways, good luck and have fun!
I hatched quail last year. It was a horrible hatch with a borrowed incubator. 3 hatched of 18 🤦‍♀️

I’m more hopeful this time around haha

Things happen sometimes, especially when conditions are a little off. I had the first duckling from a batch of shipped eggs last year that internally pipped, externally pipped, and then killed itself by turning and blocking its pip instead of zipping. 🤷🏼‍♀️
As you said, this was your troubleshooting hatch so now you know the areas you need to stabilize. :) I’m glad you got one little peep out of it anyways. do you have any way to obtain a friend or 2 for it? :)

This is the live baby. I originally though Crested Creme legbar egg but now I’m thinking EE. I see cheeks I’m pretty sure.
03016004-5F5E-4EEA-8F6D-D95EE5BDC7B9.jpeg 7336E977-1DE5-4117-A6EA-CA93885D60E7.jpeg

I’m already on finding friends. The poor things chirping away. I’ve been cuddling it periodically but I don’t want a chicken that doesn’t know how to chicken if you know what I mean.

So far I have found week old Plymouth Barr’s but they are a drive away. Hoping to have someone answer my ad a little closer.

I find some of my blue eggs light up as easily as white/cream eggs and others are as hard to candle (if not harder) than my darkest browns. With the darker blues I can eventually can make out the air cell as it expands and try and use that as a guide but for the most part they are a wait and see.

Good luck with your hatch!

ALOT of the eggs looked like this:

Are these early quitters?

I'm not that good at candling, but I found it helpful to candle some not-incubated eggs for comparison. If I just grab eggs from the fridge, I KNOW they have no chicks inside.

When I had some eggs I thought might not be fertile, I gave them a few extra days and candled again. Then I cracked one into a bowl and looked at it--with no shell, I could easily see that there was no development at all. I cracked each egg and looked inside before discarding them. If I had found a chick, it would have been too late for that chick, but I would have been able to put the other eggs back under the hen to continue incubating. In my case, all the eggs were infertile, but I did not have enough experience to trust what I thought I was seeing. (My eggs had been incubated for about 10 days by the time I cracked one, and it did NOT stink. I cooked the cracked eggs and fed them to the chickens, because they looked & smelled fine.)

So if no-one is able to tell from your photos, you could crack one of the probably-not-developing eggs and see what's really inside.

Well only ended up with 1 chick. I opened the other egg this morning as I realized there actually was no pip. It didn’t even internally pip. Looks like it does before it even got into position.

Attachments

• 9424B8E3-776A-4EC1-85FE-E4522CA9901C.jpeg
    9424B8E3-776A-4EC1-85FE-E4522CA9901C.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom