2021 Chick Order

Pics
I'm thinking my D'Anvers isn't a D'anvers. He's got no cheek muffs to go along with that single comb. Also, decided to try and crow tonight and harass HeadBasher, the quail currently housed in the same room (seperate kennel though). Same personality as my D'Anvers boo Cecil had though, makes me sad actually to watch him ,😅

I'm thinking my D'Anvers isn't a D'anvers. He's got no cheek muffs to go along with that single comb.

Rose comb is caused by a dominant gene, and muffs are caused by a different dominant gene.

So even if the breeding stock all have rose combs and muffs, some might have the recessive genes for no muffs, and for not-rose comb (single). And the breeder or hatchery would never know by looking at them, although of course they could figure it out by looking at the offspring.

Yours might have proper d'Anvers parents, but obviously his parents both had the genes for no muffs, and for not-rose comb. He's probably not a good choice for breeding :(, unless you were planning a crossbreeding project that uses traits he does have.

Rose comb is caused by a dominant gene, and muffs are caused by a different dominant gene.

So even if the breeding stock all have rose combs and muffs, some might have the recessive genes for no muffs, and for not-rose comb (single). And the breeder or hatchery would never know by looking at them, although of course they could figure it out by looking at the offspring.

Yours might have proper d'Anvers parents, but obviously his parents both had the genes for no muffs, and for not-rose comb. He's probably not a good choice for breeding :(, unless you were planning a crossbreeding project that uses traits he does have.
Yeah. I know muffs are dominant (You mix ONE muffed male into the lines and suddenly the babies are all popping out with poofy cheeks) but I guess eventually dominants mixed with not will throw a not.

He's cute, but I'll probably just have to move him along since I really don't want to deal with culling lots of offspring because he's got two things wrong.

Also think I ended up with 2 frazzles. One her poor back is almost all bare with just little bits of fluff and the other isn't much better. Guess I'm looking into chicken saddles if they stay girl. Will make it easier to tell her babies apart from the lavender 😅

Gah, had a chick try to off itself! I found him freezing behind the brooder, which means not only was he not screaming when he started to chill, he actually walked around the room, over a box and power cords and then some.

He's in a brooder under the light, I brought him back from the brink, but I'm not warm enough right now and I can't hold him under the lamp for long, for some reason my hands are too sensitive to the heat. I'm hoping he makes it, this group is awful about this. They're a week old and I've lost 3 to this already, not counting this one.

Gah, had a chick try to off itself! I found him freezing behind the brooder, which means not only was he not screaming when he started to chill, he actually walked around the room, over a box and power cords and then some.

I've noticed that some chicks seem to have a death wish :(
It's a good thing for the chick that you found him!

I've noticed that some chicks seem to have a death wish :(
It's a good thing for the chick that you found him!
Yeah. I know I need to check on him, I'm just worried that I know What I'll find. He was breathing better and not writhing when I left, which was a neck of a lot better than when I found him.

Back
Top Bottom