2021 Chick Order

Pics
What do you think of the quality? I keep looking at the sale ads and wondering if they're worth getting. (I'm specifically asking about the one that still has the sign on it, which I assume is the newest one.)
I like those far more than the grey one in the picture. However, it's still small and can't hold the 8 it claims it can. And not everyone things that it's worth almost 400 bucks. I do because me and mom can build one in about a day, and we don't have to buy lumber and wire and cut shapes and wire and then build it. The new ones haven't gone through winter yet, though, so I'm not sure how well they will fare. They have NO ventilation though, so if you ever plan on closing the coop door, you'll need to add some yourself. I don't shut the coop since I keep the pen latched all the time, and I'm not going to make them wait in that coop for me to drag my butt out of bed and open it

I think this one took about 3 hours to do. Less than the first brown one and far less than the grey one.

We have one more (we bought the last 2 of the season at my store) to build. But the last coop (so prefab #4) is for a breed I'm getting next year so it won't have anyone permanent in it until then

I like those far more than the grey one in the picture. However, it's still small and can't hold the 8 it claims it can.
Thanks! I knew it wouldn't hold as many birds as they say, but I've been thinking something like that might work for a broody to sit & raise chicks.

me and mom can build one in about a day, and we don't have to buy lumber and wire and cut shapes and wire and then build it.
I think this one took about 3 hours to do. Less than the first brown one and far less than the grey one.

That's good to know. Yes, one of major benefits of pre-fab things is how fast you can put them together!

The new ones haven't gone through winter yet, though, so I'm not sure how well they will fare.
Maybe I'll remember to ask again in the spring :)

They have NO ventilation though, so if you ever plan on closing the coop door, you'll need to add some yourself. I don't shut the coop since I keep the pen latched all the time, and I'm not going to make them wait in that coop for me to drag my butt out of bed and open it
Thanks for mentioning the lack of ventilation. I think that's common to prefab coops in general, but it's nice to know for sure about this one.

Thanks! I knew it wouldn't hold as many birds as they say, but I've been thinking something like that might work for a broody to sit & raise chicks.

That's good to know. Yes, one of major benefits of pre-fab things is how fast you can put them together!

Maybe I'll remember to ask again in the spring :)

Thanks for mentioning the lack of ventilation. I think that's common to prefab coops in general, but it's nice to know for sure about this one.
The grey one has a few windows (You can kinda see a slat fell off and we had to make a new slider for the other window) and a gap between the front coop wall and the roof drop that all allow ventilation. The brown one ONLY has ventilation where the door is and only then when it's opened (there's a sliver where the poop board is crooked, but that's not gonna help on hot nights)

I have used the grey one for a broody Cochin and her 7 chicks and she did okay (the chicks couldn't figure out how to go in the coop at night the first few weeks and she didn't seem to understand to stay with them).

Oh I feel so much relief with the rooster situation! Me and mom have decided to overwinter 4 (possibly 5) of the extra roosters. I still have far too many to keep and need to cull, but about half my projects didn't happen so I have the space and these 4 are so nice. I'm amazed no one in 4h wanted them. The 5th would be if my friend and her boyfriend decide they want one of the Orpington males for next year's flock.

So the bantams Wyandotte, the 2 extra barreds and the Pheonix/CP mix are all staying over winter so long as they stay respectful.

Downside is my nice fancy cages are a bit short for some of my standards I'm keeping, so guess who gets to hand make taller ones. Yay /s

Processed 3 bantams today. The extra gold neck d'uccles and the sebright male. Made me a bit sad, rheu were all three beautiful birds and if i had a spot for a nonbreeding pet, the sebright would have stayed. He was a sweet male, but absolutely no one was interested and even tiny birds eat feed and it still adds up

Well the male's are definitely making bullseyes. Had to get rid of questionable eggs before my friend watched everyone for a few days (I got back last night) and just opened the eggs for the birds to eat. Nice looking bullseye in at least one from this pen. Birds were crowding so I didn't get a chance to look at more before they were already gobbled down.

Moving birds into the 2021 pen did not work at all. The males jumped one of the NN teens (he almost broke his neck getting stuck in the fencing) and Atlas' son immediately started fighting (and losing to) my D'uccle male.

So everyone got split up with a buddy (or two since I had an odd number of birds - 6 females and 5 males I think, the Cornish are still not giving me any freaking clues).

Just hoping this didn't make whatever is hunting break into my 2021 pen. It's more secure, but I have no clue what it is and that pen still has some weak spots we're working on shoring up

Back
Top Bottom