2021 Chick Order

Pics
Mystery pullet is on just one developing egg. 3 others are stuck to the floor though, so yay, fun. /s

Debating on getting another incubator. I'm nervous though after the one I got last year was useless. Dont want to waste another giant amount of money and eggs. But I want one that holds more than my NR360

Here's the red breasted barred's brother (at least half, almost 110% he's from the same hen too which would make them full siblings). He however has no barring and has more like a mottling on his chest. The light color is like an off greu, not white.

I think they came from a white female, just because I've never had a white female old enough to lay in this flock before spring when these eggs were laid. And I have another white female in a different flock (at least half sisters, could be full though) that I got a little male from that kinda had the same color pattern

20211129_104338.jpg

Also added the girls to the pen last night (technically the night before, but they all got out from a hole that was dug, hopefully from dust bathing).

One is a tiny little Phoenix (I'm thinking that she's near the end of the gene pool with this flock just because of what she looks like) that nearly gave me a heart attack this morning. She was hiding between the bowl and the fence and I thought someone had squished her. She was, like usual, just fine once I got her unstuck.

Crispy and the barred Cochin are really having human issues. They constantly follow you wherever you are in sight, and I feel pretty bad. They were never this friendly before, but now that they're down at the barn they actually want people. I blame the Japanese hen for making them nuts

Looking into getting a new incubator.

Mystery pullet's egg looks about ready to hatch. Now, if she'll protect it and keep it alive is a whole other question. I will not be stepping in because as harsh as it sounds, for just one chick, it's not worth it to try and raise in the winter. Either she raises it successfully, or it doesn't make it.

I will say that the Mystery pullet seems to be doing everything right. She dustbathes (a lot actually, but I don't blame her, her nesting spot is not a great clean space), eats and drinks and still is part of the flock. I've noticed the ones that basically hide for 21 days and isolate themselves tend to give up near the end. Maybe because of loneliness?

Debating of breeding my Wyandotte girl to my naked neck male next spring. I got her originally for that, since I wanted to start getting lacing into my NNs. But apparently that's a lot harder than I had assumed when I clicked "add to cart"

Back
Top Bottom