2021 Gosling Hatch-a-Long

I need names Triscuit? Goldfish? Graham ? Zwieback?

I NEED to know. 😊

Edit: and to answer you question about inbreeding it's not really a problem. Most breeds are developed using inbreeding and line breeding to fix traits. Fix meaning make them dominant or keep doubles of recessive traits in the bloodline. If you don't have a source of new blood just do large hatches and don't keep ąnything for breeding purposes that is a problem for you.
We went with
Girls
Ritz, Saltine (Salty), Cheez-it, Triscuit, Keebler (may be changing)

Boys
Lance, Graham, Captain

I like zwieback 😃

Lockdown for another group - 10 this time. One egg was one I'd marked as a possible blood ring at the first candling but left in until the next candling. It had definite active veins at second candling, and still does - though there's some strange "unfilled" space on one side of the egg. 🤔 I candled again at lockdown and it has good veins and was moving, so we'll see how it goes. Hoping for another good hatch! 🤞
Anxiously waiting for good news on this hatch 😃

Forgot to update the shipped eggs hatch: of the 4 received, 2 had damaged air cells and 2 looked ok. The 2 with rolling/saddled air cells went into their own incubator, upright, in a carton and, after the first few days, were gently turned by slightly spinning and tilting them. The other 2 joined eggs from my geese in another incubator, on their sides, and were hand-turned 3 times a day.

Candling at 7 days showed that 2 of the 4 shipped eggs had no development - 1 had a normal air cell and the other had a rolling air cell. The last (developing) damaged air cell egg had a cell that was stable, but a little saddle-shaped, so I placed in with the other developing shipped egg on its side in the incubator and have been doing full 180 degree turns.

At this rate, I'll be lucky if one gosling ultimately hatches from the shipped eggs. 😕

Forgot to update the shipped eggs hatch: of the 4 received, 2 had damaged air cells and 2 looked ok. The 2 with rolling/saddled air cells went into their own incubator, upright, in a carton and, after the first few days, were gently turned by slightly spinning and tilting them. The other 2 joined eggs from my geese in another incubator, on their sides, and were hand-turned 3 times a day.

Candling at 7 days showed that 2 of the 4 shipped eggs had no development - 1 had a normal air cell and the other had a rolling air cell. The last (developing) damaged air cell egg had a cell that was stable, but a little saddle-shaped, so I placed in with the other developing shipped egg on its side in the incubator and have been doing full 180 degree turns.

At this rate, I'll be lucky if one gosling ultimately hatches from the shipped eggs. 😕
I've had really poor performance from shipped eggs this year, but got some American Blues yesterday so I will be dealing with them for another month. My two pilgrims from the four eggs set last month are fine and sassy. Both girls, so I have five more in the incubator right now hoping for a male. Only three look promising though. They should hatch at the end of the week.

They're hatching!! :jumpy

Two are out as of a couple of hours ago, the rest are externally pipped except for 1 that I'd marked as a possible blood ring after the first candling (clearly, it wasn't, though it looked different even as it developed). That one's still alive but not internally pipped yet. I'm concerned that it's so far behind the others, but it's welcome to take its time.

We usually have one of these every year, but it doesn't look like one got made yet this year. So, who's hatching?

I've got tons of Tufted Roman eggs going from my own flock. Also some Lavender and Blue American eggs, AND for the first time I just found another breeder of Tufted Romans, so I'm getting eggs next week. As a bonus, he's been playing with crossing out to French Tufted Toulouse, so he's been working on creating new colors. So the eggs might end up hatching some fun new colors.

What does everyone else have hatching?
I have Golden Cascade duck eggs in the incubator...lost power for 2 hrs, so I'm praying they'll be ok. I have a Toulouse hen sitting on eggs due mid June (I'm guessing!?), along with a Muscovy hen sitting on eggs. My poor birds are all discombobulated, as I had to move birds because of building a new pen. (((Normally the 10 hens I moved would already be sitting on their individual nests!😔)))

Snapper, a Toulouse, hatched seven eggs yesterday. Given that Ryobi was a horrible mother a few weeks ago, I decided not to trust the mothering instinct too much. I also grabbed an egg that had already pipped when I kidnapped the goslings. It hatched this morning, but I'm not taking any credit for that. It's a photogenic little group so I'll probably force them to sit for pictures soon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom