2021 guinea hatches

Well, I just had my second poor hatch of the year. I feel like I’ve lost my touch! Only 16/41 fertile eggs hatched, for a lousy rate of 38%! Both hatches have had some possible issues, like old eggs that I didn’t sell, taking eggs from an already incubated nest that I found, oil based painting going on, moving eggs on day 19, a few days of hotter than ideal temps, etc. However, both hatches lost so many eggs to being late quitters, which I just don’t understand… Some had large air cells so I may try to increase the humidity instead of dry hatch next time. Average humidity before lockdown was 34%, which doesn’t seem particularly low… Average temp was 99.2 F. Maybe I should try weighing eggs for water loss… So frustrating! And so sad to see so many dead eggs. I could open the eggs but I’m not sure what I’m looking for as they clearly developed to nearly full term…
When is the last time that you salt calibrated your hygrometer?

Well, I just had my second poor hatch of the year. I feel like I’ve lost my touch! Only 16/41 fertile eggs hatched, for a lousy rate of 38%! Both hatches have had some possible issues, like old eggs that I didn’t sell, taking eggs from an already incubated nest that I found, oil based painting going on, moving eggs on day 19, a few days of hotter than ideal temps, etc. However, both hatches lost so many eggs to being late quitters, which I just don’t understand… Some had large air cells so I may try to increase the humidity instead of dry hatch next time. Average humidity before lockdown was 34%, which doesn’t seem particularly low… Average temp was 99.2 F. Maybe I should try weighing eggs for water loss… So frustrating! And so sad to see so many dead eggs. I could open the eggs but I’m not sure what I’m looking for as they clearly developed to nearly full term…
One of the articles in here -please don't ask me to find it-lol- talked abt how environment & weather affects hatches. Not in great detail, just that it does. Example, we've been having high wind storms & a 3.8 earthquake last week (🤷‍♀️goons and I felt nothing). The cicadas had a fungus so some had no rear 1/2. (Weirdest looking thing, but apparently still tasty to all birds).
Not suggesting hocus pocus and magic, but cause & effect, correlation of all things.

Finally this evening I found the first guinea egg of the season. True to guinea style, it was dropped where she happened to be at the time the urge hit her. There is still no sign of any nesting activity.
I found one right next to the feeder in the coop this evening. Really made me wonder and give the innocently perching hens a look.

I found one right next to the feeder in the coop this evening. Really made me wonder and give the innocently perching hens a look.
Mine have 5 hens laying in one nest and 3 hens laying in a different nest. Tonight is lockdown for the first 40 eggs. Two more weeks before it is lockdown for the next 85 eggs.

Mine have 5 hens laying in one nest and 3 hens laying in a different nest. Tonight is lockdown for the first 40 eggs. Two more weeks before it is lockdown for the next 85 eggs.
I can't fathom 85 babies...2 make me a nervous wreck! Lol. I just went in & checked, my peeper has hatched, my guess is not very long before I went in, as it is very sleepy. I was concerned; it pipped last night, this a.m.the pipped piece was broken off,I cld see the membrane but it looked intact at 1st. Then it looked like a pin hole. I was afraid the humidity wasn't high enough & it had shrink wrapped? Humidity was @65%, I added to the shot glass to give it more surface area & decided to wait before coming here to panic. The keet was peeping away & scratching around.
The yolk was absorbed & it flapped it's wings at me so no sticky stuff this time, & it's moving abt albeit drunkenly.
White belly and cheeks, but solid stripe with two smaller ones on each side. Brown back w/flecks of the lighter down like Bella had but doubt that matters. I'll get a pic later, as I said, it's sleepy & I hate to flash light in it's face to do so now.
Not so sure abt other egg. Was active at lockdown but nothing going on w/it so far.
The other 6 are very active so far. They have 2 wks to go.

20210626_202817.jpg

View attachment 2737780
Bottom right kicking out of shell.
"Who's next? I'll take on all of yas!" Lol
I opened the other egg. The yolk was abt 1/2 consumed, the keet was small, had wings and feet and beak and down, but something about the eyes weren't right- still too big on skull. It seemed to still be moving at lockdown but much less so than my peeper. I have learned a lot more this time & realized things I was doing wrong. Likewise the next batch is in a different incubator that seems to hold temp & humidity better.🤞

Back
Top Bottom